HybridZ

removing /replacing spare tire well

ok guys, my spare tire well is pretty bad, rusted, and prior owner fiberglassed it..

post-1061-0-47337300-1427263040_thumb.jpg

I want to replace it.

I found someone on craigslist locally who is parting out. I just need to remove it from their car. Any suggestions? drill the spot welds?

when I cut mine out I used a cutting wheel on a four and a half inch grinder in cut just inside the tire well just below spot welds. I had a friend of mine make this temporary one until I was able to come across a good tire well.

post-44346-0-96428500-1427296769_thumb.jpg

post-44346-0-40754700-1427296805_thumb.jpg

then when I found a donor, I cut on the outside of the spot welds on the top. plus I needed that extra little section so that was cut also.by leaving the original spot welds and the addition of the new cut section stiffen the area.

post-44346-0-81682100-1427296871_thumb.jpg

post-44346-0-66248700-1427296909_thumb.jpg

Now just waiting to weld in place

would angle grinder with cut off wheel do it? or sawzaw? someone else mentioned to me to just drill out the spot welds and pry it out. I figure i will be more precise to my car, but since their car is getting parted/cut up, it wont matter what i do to theirs. Would just hate to spend hours at their place trying to get it out, so i want to go prepared 

Edited by Hypertek

I used a pair of electric shears to liberate mine. I just trimmed in a circle.

If it has a flange you could cut yours a little smaller and then place the wheel well on top. Nothing really mounts to it so it would be ok if it was a few mm above where it sat. Ideally you would want a hexagon for easy instillation. 

I removed mine to run a fuel cell and dual exhaust. I drilled out the spot welds where the well attached to the floor panel which left a 3/4" flange at the top of the well and the floor intact.

I never compaired the hole diameter to the od of the well but it looks like if you drilled the spot welds out of your well you'd have enough floor to weld the pictured one back in.

Harbor Freight has spot weld cutters for cheap that lasted longer than I expected.