HybridZ

6L80-E

Thinking of getting a complete LSx with loom and 6L80-E from a wrecker and transplanting the lot into a project race car. So I have two Z's to choose from :)

Question is, how good is the auto setup for that purpose? Can it be tuned and if so how, I'm a newb as far as auto tuning goes and know nothing about OE GM stuff. So edumacate me.

Where did you hear that? I'm pretty sure you can tune out just about anything, lots of people swapping those setups into old trucks easily enough. I would be concerned with the 6l80e's size, I got a pullout with a 6l90e and it is a good bit fatter that the 6 speed manual I bought to put behind the motor instead, and the manual is quite a tight fit.

I have a 6.2L and 6L80E in my Jeep Wrangler you can see in my info. If you go that way I HIGHLY recommend getting a native paired engine/transmission. The communication is important for proper operation. Don't need the other modules if done right.I just have ECM & TCM. It is quite large in girth. A 6L90E is about 30mm longer than the 6L80E. If you're really serious about this I may be able to lift one up into my 240Z chassis as I am building a stroker 6.2/6.8 right now for the Jeep and the Trans is out. Don't expect double clutch manual type shifts from that unit. They're better than earlier autos to be sure and I LOVE it in the Jeep but no way is my 240Z getting an auto.

Edited by jpndave

Thanks Dave, good info but I'm going with a 4L80E version which from the factory holds 640 hp and is more of a known quantity. The ratios are not too bad either, what I've noticed generally with five or six speeders is that first gear is so low and the last so high that for a circuit car they are superfluous.

Edited by 260DET

• 3 weeks later...