HybridZ

LS1Gen3 and stock suspension part and the etc....

Hello,

74 260z.  I already have a 2004 LS1 from a Vette,  a T5 tranny, Hawke headers and mounting kit.

My budget is gone.  I really wanted to put in AZ Z car kit, or Techno Toys kit, because its all right there...but I just cant afford it.

Would a 375hp engine overwhelm stock parts?

Suggestion on parts that would be acceptable, but not so expensive?

This will be street only.

I really appreciate any advice..

EDIT:  Have been reading....

Seems for 1500 to 2000, I can do sway bars, tie rod ends, ball joint, urethan mounts, lowing coils and struts....

This would be keeping the control arms and brakes...  Thoughts?

Edited by xringx

If you have an R200 diff you'll be OK for a while if you're street driving.  An R180 will work but you'll get excited and bang some gears hard some day and shell it.

An R200 LSD would be fine and you can even run the u-joint half shafts if you're not doing a lot of drag racing.

Plan on having to upgrade your brakes.  The stock ones will stop you fine in normal daily driving.  Mine even did fairly well when I ran my car at the Texas Motor Speedway but I would have liked more.  Look at the TTT stuff which is less expensive than the AZ Zcar stuff and also has the integral parking brake with the rear brakes rather than the additional hydraulic calipers.  Put together a schedule of things you would like to do - get them into an order that will allow the most efficient use of your funds over time and then do things as you have the cash.  You can always buy parts a bit at a time until you have everything you need for an upgrade and then do it.

You can bolt up a T-5 if you use an older style bellhousing large enough to fit an 11" clutch. Then you either need a special flywheel to allow you to use an old style clutch assembly or buy a special clutch assembly to work with the LS flywheel. Read the article linked below before you go any further. It is very informative.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/ccrp-0810-engine-transmission-swap-gen-3/

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

You can bolt up a T-5 if you use an older style bellhousing large enough to fit an 11" clutch. Then you either need a special flywheel to allow you to use an old style clutch assembly or buy a special clutch assembly to work with the LS flywheel. Read the article linked below before you go any further. It is very informative.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/ccrp-0810-engine-transmission-swap-gen-3/

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Wow!   Thanks for the great information!

You may want to look into the torque capacity of the T5 also. Personally I'd hate to put the effort ($) into the conversion parts just to lose 3rd gear in six months. Maybe figure out the costs of the adaptors and see if a T56 doesn't make more sense?

My bad.. I just checked my paperwork.. I have a T-56

This is what I have...

98-02 Camaro/Firebird LS1 Tremec T56 6 Speed Manual Conversion Kit Complete Used. Are you looking into converting your automatic f-body to a manual 6 speed? Then this is the kit you need, comes complete minus a console shifter plate (*SEE PICTURES*). If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comes with everything you need including:
Tremec LS1 T56 6 Speed Transmission 2.66 low gear
Bellhousing
Slave & throwout bearing
Crossmember
Shifter, Knob, & Lower Boot
Clutch master cylinder
Manual pedals
Clutch Disc, Pressure Plate, & Flywheel
Bolts, Pigtails & hardware

_57_zpskfcxehte.jpg

Edited by xringx

There are at least 3 other LS builds on this forum right now that are further along than you are. An easy thing would be to read all the things they are talking about and learn from their progress and their mistakes (we all make them). Like I said before - put together a plan.  I did the LS1/T56/R200 LSD upgrade before I did any suspension or brake work.  The car was a blast to drive and was only as unsafe as the guy driving it. The only serious mistake I made was to have the car finish painted when the LS motor went in.  That will cause me issues with suspension upgrades where some welding may be required or flares in order to run wider wheels & tires.  The good news (sort of) is that the paint is 18 years old and now I need to do it again.  Soooo - It's time to put another plan together and get the costs associated with it and decide what I want to do, if anything, when the next paint job gets done.