HybridZ

LS1 site gurus, New noise.

I replaced the belt tensioner on my Z, the original GM had too much play and the alternator was not happy. The replacement unit is made by Gates and it is making a high pitch noise , sounds like she has a supercharger ,kool sound but is this OK. The pitch noise is not a bearing/grinding type , is like a spool type noise, any info will be welcome.

Edited by PLATA

I'd suggest a manual tensioner and a factory belt. The spring loaded tensioners can chuck the belt, I hear this is particularly common if you rev it really high and then let off the throttle quickly. FWIW, my 5.3L truck engine has a very squeaky belt. Changed it several times, then read online to use a factory belt. The factory belt was a lot quieter for sure, a year later squeak was back though. Will probably put a manual tensioner on it at some point, haven't gotten there yet. 

My wifes suv had thIs problem and it ended up being the tensioner bearing. Napa will sell you just the bearing for a couple bucks if you have a way to press it out. Take the belt off and spin all the pulleys as hard as you can and see if any seems louder than the others.

I run gatorback belts generally, never had an issue of noise from them. Can you warranty out the tensioner to see if it goes away?

..... The GM old tensioner went to the trash bin with the reciept of the Gates belt,good idea though . Edited by PLATA

We've had issues in the past with aftermarket belts being just a hair longer than the OE length, causing that belt slip / speak noise. Use OEM parts. If you have different belt routing other than factory (you mention no ps) then the tensioner might not be compressed enough to adequately do its job with the belt you're using. Also check to make sure your water pump isn't seeping anything onto the belt from the weep hole underneath.

^^^ On my set-up the spot for the P/S is occupied by the A/C compressor, the noise started with the replacement of the tensioner and belt, prior to that no noise on display. As mention earlier I will do the OE belt(having a spare is a good practice) and go from there.

Well the noise has vanished, yesterday after the ritual coffee and gas meet I did the customary spirited drive and now all is good, guess that the belt is seating were it should or the tensioner lost its virginity.