HybridZ

16ga sheet metal for rust repair on fire wall and floor pans...

1974 260z.

I have a sheet of 16ga left over from another project.  I really dont want to buy another sheet/half sheet..its not the money, its the hassle factor.  

I have never done any welding for a car before, but I am decent welder and I will be using TIG.

Thoughts?

post-48963-0-60880000-1433681950_thumb.jpg

post-48963-0-98844600-1433681976_thumb.jpg

Edited by xringx

Eww, that's pretty rough. 
My buddy who welds for a living says he prefers MIG for body work. He says TIG heat is too concentrated and more prone to warping.
I personally have not done TIG on body work but MIG has always worked out well for me.

Just make sure to spread out your stitches methodically to allow maximum cooling before going back to that area. Once you have come full circle several times and have a stitch every 0.75"-1.5" you can begin connecting them. Again, moving around to give plenty of cooling and prevent warping.

Id recommend using a MIG as well. TIG is unnecessarily complicated for welding on cars, while i'm not familiar with it as much as i am MIG i can assure you MIG is the way to go.

Im not sure how thick the fire wall is on an s30, but id bet its thinner than 16g. You could use it, just make sure you dont focus too much on the old metal and warp it / miss actually joining the pieces by not heating the new metal enough.

Yes,  its quite ugly, and since I posted it has become uglier...I thought I could patch the floor pans, but a total replacement is needed.   Soooo..

As for MIG.. I dont have a mig unit at home.. just a tig/stick rig...

I still have to pull the engine and stuff...but once that is done I will start cutting and see where we end up....