HybridZ

piston to valve clearance

Datsun#1

Hey guys,im building another l28 this summer.I have a fully ported mn47 head shaved .10 thousandths. The block is balanced,and fully refreshed with stock bore flat tops.(no valve reliefs)...the cam I am wanting to run is 295durr/495 lift...will I have any clearance issues with this cam? Id like to run it degreed at 4-8 degrees advanced. Thanks for the input.

I have read about bigger cams being run on stock flat tops. You are going to get replies telling to check clearance and not rely on guess work. The duration will get you in trouble more than anything. Just make sure you get it timed in correctly.

Throw some modeling clay on top of a piston, assembly and turn it over by hand. After going thru a couple rotations of the crank if you havent had to stop due to interference, pull the head and measure the thickness of the clay where the valves indentations are and go from there.

Hey guys,im building another l28 this summer.I have a fully ported mn47 head shaved .10 thousandths. The block is balanced,and fully refreshed with stock bore flat tops.(no valve reliefs)...the cam I am wanting to run is 295durr/495 lift...will I have any clearance issues with this cam? Id like to run it degreed at 4-8 degrees advanced. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like my next build. Some cam grinders already have advance built in so check your numbers.

Put it together, but only install two rocker arms.  That way you'll only waste two valves, and dent one piston.  Not positive but I think that valve guides can be damaged also. 

Clay is cheap.  Worse comes to worst, it's hard to clean from the piston top.  You know you should do this.