HybridZ

Smog Help For My Z

hello i need some help on getting my 77 280z to pass smog. It was labled as a Gross Polluter but a smog repair stations in my area wont work on it because its "too old" which is bullshit. CO emissions are more than double. the HC (PPM) is very high too. ANY tips/fixes that could help getting this Z on the road? Its my first car. It was sitting for like a year maybe its the old gas? You can smell the exhaust which is alarming for me. Any help or reply is greatly appreciated  

Paying for a pretest to avoid "Gross Polluter" tag is always prudent if you suspect something.

Get out the FSM, start at EM page 1 and do a tune up starting with a proper hot valve adjustment. That is FIRST.

A bad valve adjustment will alter cam timing enough to fail you.

Likely you have killed your catalyst but you got to get the engine running properly first before you go on a highway blast to see if you can clean off the catalytic substrate...

Start with your basics. 

Paying for a pretest to avoid "Gross Polluter" tag is always prudent if you suspect something.

Get out the FSM, start at EM page 1 and do a tune up starting with a proper hot valve adjustment. That is FIRST.

A bad valve adjustment will alter cam timing enough to fail you.

Likely you have killed your catalyst but you got to get the engine running properly first before you go on a highway blast to see if you can clean off the catalytic substrate...

Start with your basics. 

Thank you ill start that asap

Post the actual numbers from the test.  And describe, in detail, what shape the engine is in, including any odd modifications.  And fix all of the simple stuff, like "bad gas".  Put new gas in.  It can take some work to get a car that's been sitting back in shape.  Don't assume it's something simple.

Tony D mentioned EM, but I think that he meant ET since that's where valve lash adjustment is described, along with the other important tune-up info.  One bad spark plug,or wire, or a bad distributor cap, can fail you.  EF is worth a look if you want to understand how the control system works.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/

http://www.xenonzcar.com/

High CO and HC indicates a rich mixture. Start with new fuel and, as already mentioned, the basics: Proper and complete tune-up (which includes an oil change). Get a temporary permit to drive the car and put some miles on it. Driving it will help some if it has not been used much for a long time. Also, make sure the car is fully warmed up before going in for the smog test.