HybridZ

New to me '74 260z has a very bumpy ride...

Hello,

New to me 260z has a very bumpy ride.  I alot of the rubber bushings have been replace with polyurathanes, which seem to be very stiff.

I know the total set up, shocks, springs, bushings and all, have less that 650hrs use on them over 8yrs. (hour meter in car).  Resto was done in 2007.

I am looking to make the z drive just a bit smother with less jolts and jars...

Any thoughts on bushings, socks and springs?  Currently the car is very low, but dont have any wheel rubbing at all.,

post-51218-0-28496400-1446495202_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZMONSTR

The car feels like it has been bottoming out, but no thud or anything.  The springs and shocks dont have a name at all, and appear to be old.  Maybe original that were cut down?  Here are some more pics.  Nothing specifically of the shocks..yet..

post-51218-0-56832400-1446505893_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-01881300-1446505944_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-72963900-1446505958_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-59045400-1446505967_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-51047300-1446505978_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-37608400-1446505984_thumb.jpg

The car feels like it has been bottoming out, but no thud or anything.  The springs and shocks dont have a name at all, and appear to be old.  Maybe original that were cut down?  Here are some more pics.  Nothing specifically of the shocks..yet..

post-51218-0-25190600-1446507477_thumb.jpg

The springs aren't stock size, whatever they are.  They're not preloaded like the stock length factory springs would be, thye're hanging free with the car lifted.  They've been painted orange so hard to tell what they are.  Stock is black, Tokicos are red, MSA's are blue...etc.  Scratch the orange and see what's underneath.  Look at the end of the spring coil to see if it's a clean cut, pinched off like a factory cut, or a hack job.

You could probably get set of stock springs, or lowering springs, and a set of new KYB shocks and be better off.

You also have anti-sway bars front and back, which will firm up the ride.  I don't know a lot about how to mess with those.

You're paying the price for lowering the car by doing nothing other than shortening the springs. You've lost shock compression travel to the point where you're bottoming with relatively minor bumps. Some coil over system or strut shortening is the only way to maintain this stance and keep some actual suspension travel. The suspension threads are full of these conversions. Do some reading.

You're paying the price for lowering the car by doing nothing other than shortening the springs. You've lost shock compression travel to the point where you're bottoming with relatively minor bumps. Some coil over system or strut shortening is the only way to maintain this stance and keep some actual suspension travel. The suspension threads are full of these conversions. Do some reading.

I have done a shit load of reading.  But I am having trouble piecing it all together.  I think I have seen at least 2 different conversions.. some cutting up parts, some welding parts.  The welding and fab dont bother me one bit, its just knowing which parts work with what system and the results achieved.

I am just tying to get a smoother ride, keep the car lowered some, and if I can do that with off the shelf parts without fab awesome!.  Which parts?

Otherwise, if I have to fab and weld, I am concerned about getting the right parts for the right process.

I have done a shit load of reading.  

Which parts?

Make a list of the things you read about in your shit load and post it up.  People can give the pros and cons of each.  There are basically two ways to go - lowering springs, or "coil-over" kits.  Coil-overs offer adjustable ride height, with lowering springs you get what ever they give you (like what you have now).  Coil-overs are best for fine-tuning ride height.

Looking at the pictures your front lower control arm geometry could use correction.  You should add some roll center adjusters ("bump steer spacers") if you keep the car this low.  

I've had the opportunity to drive quite a few different Z's and it's amazing how basically the same car can be so wildly different in feel. From a 240 with stock springs and "balloon" tires that felt like a 60's Galaxy 500 TO cut springs, harsh as hell, stoopid low...  I think "the right" suspension is in the butt of the beholder.  Surprisingly enough, there are actually quite a few options for early Z suspension.  And enough different opinions that it may make your head spin.

I may get some hate when I say this but the "easy way out" will probably be fully adjustable coilovers.  Not that they don't come with their own set of unique issues when being installed on an early Z.  BUT - You should be able to choose spring rates (change spring rates if you need to).  You can set ride height (change ride height) at will without loosing spring or strut travel.  And, if you have adjustable camber plates you can adjust for the negative camber you introduce when lowering the car.  (do your homework, some of the adjustable camber plates don't actually have much adjustment...)

The potential downside(s) of fully adjustable coilovers can be cost, installation usually requires "fab" work (cutting and welding as a general rule), AND you may end up cutting your stock strut tower for camber plates.  So...  that's something you need to consider.  

(to my mind, cutting the strut tubes off and welding on a threaded adapter for a coilover strut is not-that-big-of-a-deal.  Fairly easy to reverse, you can find suspension parts to replace them.  the "bigger deal" for me is cutting the strut tower - which is ultimately reversible, but not without some blood, sweat, and tears.  ya, and probably $$...)

I have 2 lines of thoughts.

1. Something quick and easy to fix the situation. 

BUT, if I am likely to have the problem again (bottoming out), or it seems I am half ass'ing it, I would rather do what cgsheen is saying is the better option and the end of his post.

Which leads to thought #2.  Cutting, welding, the tubes etc, no big deal for me.  This sounds like more what I am going to do, since I have many more options with setups.  I am f' with it once/pay more 1st time kinda guy.

So, at looking at the coil over solutions, I find MANY products out there.  Some are very expensive.  Some not so expensive.  And I, being a sucker, am easily swayed by pretty colors and slick advertising.  

I am concerned about buying a setup, and not knowing all the parts I need to make a correct setup.

As I understand, in a coil over setup, I am going to to need the coil over setup and camber plates.  I keep reading about spacers, rubber cushions/ bumpers etc.   What is the list items I need?  Is there a known setup that is less track and more daily driver oriented?

Thanks for all the help.  I am still reading.

EDIT TO ADD:  I just read post #5 here..now making me question my above statements...http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/22616-coilover-conversion.html

Edited by ZMONSTR

You can check to see if it is bottoming out by removing a front and rear wheel using jack stands, then put a jack under the control arm to achieve the same measurement from the center of the hub to the the fender arch as you had at static ride height with the wheel on and the car on the ground. Then take pictures of the springs so we can see how much travel is left. You won't be able to figure anything out with the shocks extended. We can help you. Wish you could ride in anotherZ to see if you think all Zs are too stiff. If so, my offer stands.

Edited by RebekahsZ