HybridZ

2jzgte swap questions

Acesss

So I was wondering where most of you are getting your motors from? I've seen them on Ebay and a few other websites but not sure of a trustworthy/good one to get it from.

Also if any of you have done the wiring yourself, and if you went single turbo are you using a custom made manifold or does someone sell one that'll fit into a Z car

Thanks! 

Edited by Acesss

Welcome to the forums, I bought my 1JZ from Montreal in Canada and had it shipped to me. All I did was google and research the company, I called each one that peaked my interest and asked questions. If your satisfied with how they answered your questions check for reviews on them. Just don't jump into buying the first thing you see. As far as everyone else I'm not to sure but a quick google search pulls up a lot of results on venders.

I ended up buying a used harness off of someone on ebay and I'll have to wire it myself to the Datsun, from what I've seen it seems to be split between spending the money and buying a new harness or using the one that comes with the engine and wiring it up yourself. In my opinion it comes down to what do you think is reasonable for a wiring harness and are you willing to pay it. There are ECU pinouts everywhere online for 2JZ & 1JZ motors it just takes time, patience and some research if you aren't familiar with wiring everyone together. Again a quick google search will bring up several different harness manufacturers some require your core harness and some don't, pricing usually reflects that. Hopefully someone else can chime in about the single turbo manifold.

A lot of the guys posting build journals have some good information check it out, from what I've seen most are willing to help you out with any questions you may have.

All I did was google and research the company, I called each one that peaked my interest and asked questions. If your satisfied with how they answered your questions check for reviews on them. Just don't jump into buying the first thing you see. As far as everyone else I'm not to sure but a quick google search pulls up a lot of results on venders.

I approached it in the same fashion. I picked up my 2JZ from JDM engines of La Habra, CA. I had them remove and discard the auto trans as it saved me the time and space and no one ever wants them. I am very happy with their service and the engine came out in great shape. I do not have the single exhaust manifold or turbo just yet, but am constantly looking at options for when the time comes to purchase. 

I went with the Wiring Specialties custom harness which custom tailors the harness with all new material for your exact engine needs, as well as bought the Haltec computer from them. Very happy with their services.

As far as exhaust manifolds specifically designed for an S30 2jz swap, I can only think of Tech 2 Motorsports has it covered as well as intercooler, radiator, etc. However, if you are a visual person such as myself, good luck trying to get a look at their product offerings as they have had pictures missing on their website for well over a year now. I even mentioned it to Carlos there, but nothing has been done to fix it. Not the best way to approach new potential customers who just want to see the product before committing to purchase. Some pics I managed to dig up on their shop car.

post-736-0-63860400-1452693045_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-77862200-1452693055_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-36923600-1452693079_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-31092900-1452693096_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-85175300-1452693109_thumb.jpg

As far as exhaust manifolds specifically designed for an S30 2jz swap, I can only think of Tech 2 Motorsports has it covered as well as intercooler, radiator, etc. However, if you are a visual person such as myself, good luck trying to get a look at their product offerings as they have had pictures missing on their website for well over a year now. I even mentioned it to Carlos there, but nothing has been done to fix it. Not the best way to approach new potential customers who just want to see the product before committing to purchase. Some pics I managed to dig up on their shop car.

Okay! I see they also sell mounts and so does CXracing. Which one is better than the other or is it just preference? 

I was looking on ebay and found this motor which doesn't look bad and the feedback on the seller looks good Link to motor

I also checked out the website you got yours from, Nelsonian, it looks like a good company ill probably be calling them tomorrow.

Dig through some of the threads in the Toyota L6 forum section for more info as it has a lot of it.

Here is a thread on mounts:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121940-1jz-gte-swap-kit-tech2/

I am happy with the quality of the Tech 2 mount kit, and am very pleased to have gotten lucky and snagged it for a bargain price.

One more thread for motivation on getting the swap done:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/123962-15jz-motivation-videos/ 

post-736-0-83528300-1452741730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

Okay! I see they also sell mounts and so does CXracing. Which one is better than the other or is it just preference? 

I was looking on ebay and found this motor which doesn't look bad and the feedback on the seller looks good Link to motor

I also checked out the website you got yours from, Nelsonian, it looks like a good company ill probably be calling them tomorrow.

The engine looks good.

My personal opinion is save your money and just build your own mounts. Even if you can't weld and have to get someone to weld them up for you it'll still be cheaper. It isn't hard to do, just my two cents though.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the manifold goes, you can run the oem twins. I have this manifold, not sure who makes it, but it's PERFECT for a s30. Waste gate clears everything. I tried 3 different types before this one, all of which seemed to need modified.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

20151107_172201_zpshkb7nnek.jpg

20151112_121120_zpsvl0wqfos.jpg

20151121_124639_zpsvhmcccou.jpg

20151130_115544_zpsqjxsl2uk.jpg

As far as the manifold goes, you can run the oem twins. I have this manifold, not sure who makes it, but it's PERFECT for a s30. Waste gate clears everything. I tried 3 different types before this one, all of which seemed to need modified.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

20151107_172201_zpshkb7nnek.jpg

20151112_121120_zpsvl0wqfos.jpg

20151121_124639_zpsvhmcccou.jpg

20151130_115544_zpsqjxsl2uk.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Do you know where you got the manifold? Also I was wondering how you liked the wiring specialties harness and if you're still on the stock ecu?

As I think ill be going 1j as i don't plan to have anywhere over 500hp

Edit: forgot to ask what you thought of the cxracing mounts

Edited by Acesss

• 3 weeks later...

Cxracing mounts....

Here is the run down. (PPictures in my build status) I had a problem with them not setting the engine all the way back. I also had a problem with them falling over....like one would push the other one and make my engine set weird. After about the 10th time going in and re tighting them up... I ended up just welding them to my 280z subframe. DoNE. Never had a issue sence.

I highly suggest the wiring spec harness. I know it's some money...but differently worth it. I wired in 2x 1jzgte to other cars (240sx and a supra) neither I enjoyed doing... I have wired many rb series and Sr series engines. Cake compared to wiring a jz.

Oh, and yes stock ecu, stock injectors at 10psi never giving me issues. It's daily drivable this way, BUT I would not go out to drift events like this. Hope you catch what I am implying. (I suggest tuning)

I was lucky enough to find an SC300 in a junkyard, so I paid $180 for a motor with 80k miles on it that had been totaled.  After breaking it open for inspection, I lucked out.

After ARP hardware, a new HX50 for a single turbo, and a cometic HG I think I have $1,800 into the engine.

I'll be running VEMS for engine management (lots of love for MS, I just like VEMS better), and I'll be doing all the wiring myself.  I'll have a complete wiring diagram when all is said and done, but that's likely a year out.

I'll be fabricating my exhaust and intake manifolds, as well as my mounts.  A big part of my work on the project so far has been "buy the tools and learn to do it yourself", not because I have some hatred for people who are able to pay to have work done, I just love to learn.

Thank you to everyone who has replied! 

Is anyone running a 350/70z 6spd trans? A buddy gave me a real good deal on one and I saw that Collinsadapters makes a plate for it to mount up to a 1jz.

Was wondering what all i'd use from the newer Z car. Thanks

I think I've seen a couple other threads on here from someone using one from a 350z. I was planning on grabbing a 350z transmission next week. I haven't looked into it to much but from what I can see you'll need the adapter and your wiring harness will need to be changed up a bit I don't know how much work is involved in it but i do know wiring specialties makes a harness for the 240z with a 1jz & 350/370z transmission. If you're planning on buying a wiring harness that is. 

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/2jwihafordap.html

If you find out that you'll need anything else, post about it for future members.

Edited by Exposed

I contacted Collins Adapters earlier today, they said that as a minimum to run it you need this kit http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adaption-kits/2jz-gte-1jz-gte-engine/2jz-1jz-to-350z-adapterplate-flywheel-combo.html

But I ended up doing the math and i'm getting everything to bolt the transmission up besides what I need from the kit for less then what it would cost me to get an r154 and buy everything for it. But even with the kit price it would still be about the same price if not cheaper in my situation. 

Edited by Acesss