HybridZ

Oil pressure 240z stalls out

Hi all, I have searched far and wide with the search feature but to no true availe.

So let me start by saying this problem is destroying me lol.

So I bought my dream z that ran great 2months ago. She had almost no brakes and stances Jerry rigged and welded Honda struts. I replaced everything with new stock parts while she was still running.

Then suddenly after using seafoam in the gas tank that morning on the drive home she lost all throttle responds and power then died. I bought a rebuild kit. And got her towed to a shop. They realized the only problem was the suction chambers had no oil, so they filled them and tuned the carbs.

She drove great for a few days so I installed a pertronix ignition, new radiator, new slave cylinder to get my clutch back, new gas tank (old one leaked everywhere) new exhaust and muffler. Than she started up again with the stalling and feeling like she was running on half power. Than she died. Got her towed back to the shop, cause I knew after the new ignition the timing needed to be reset. And I shouldn't have but in trying to get her to run I messed with the tuned of the carbs. So the shop replaced my fouled plugs from my tinkering lol reset the carbs and tuned them, set my ignition timing, and said she was running.

I picked her up after shop hours and drove 1 mile before she stalled and died again, thought it was an empty gas tank so put 2 gallons in after a long walk and a 20$ gas can, than she ran great for another mile till she stalled again, noticed my oil pressure seam almost zero but i that wouldn't cause a stall. I'm so confused at this point. Please help

Tell us what you have first of all. Dream Z isn't much to go on   :D   My 1st thought would be a fuel issue, since you put seafoam in the tank, you've prolly got alot of trash/rust scale that has plugged up the filters.

Thats where I'd start looking...  Once you provide a little more info., I'm sure others will help you more than I did.  Good luck!

Simple question of what caused it to die. 

Car needs a few things to run, fuel, spark, air, compression. 

You are getting air, some spark, some gas, and compression if the car is running for bits.

That leaves two remaining. Spark and gas.

Since the car is running you are getting both of those for at least a little while. 

Gas is pretty simple to check, pull off the return line and see if the fuel is coming back strong. Unfortunately this can only be done with the car on as it is a mechanical pump on the 240z, I suspect as the others that you are running out of fuel pressure. A small electric pump may help to push fuel up to a tired mechanical pump, but it will not be much help if you have a bunch of junk in the filters clogging fuel flow. You could use starting fluid when it stalls to see if it is the fuel. If the car starts and runs on starting fluid then spark is fine and it is more or less a fuel delivery problem.

Alternatively there is spark, if the coil cannot build up enough charge, the rotor is burnt, the spark plugs are fouled etc, it could be loosing charge. Quite a few ways to check, my favorite being an inline spark tester. Even if you have all the other perfect things, a discharging coil will slowly stall the car out.

Oil pressure is finicky. It could be a sender or something more worrisome like a pump that is worn down and not pushing any oil. The pumps on the L-series are pretty well known for being hardy, so I don't think it is the latter. Still making sure you are getting oil pressure would be a good idea, a mechanical gauge could be threaded in to check and see how accurate the sender is sending. Making sure you have oil is also a good idea, no oil pressure = no oil circulation = seized engine = engine stalling and not starting up again, so it could be related, but hopefully not.

Edited by seattlejester