HybridZ

Won't stay running

baggedgoods

I'm still new to this forum and I understand that some of my questions can be answered by looking at msextra or in the manual. I find it easier to grasp when someone explains it in their terms or points me in the right direction. Do people get pissed off about these types of questions?

I don't think anyone gets annoyed at reasonably intelligent questions. Unless it's like on VW/Vortex where you get something like... What spark gap should I run? When there is an extensive FAQ and the question has been already answered a thousand times over. That clearly indicates a lack of effort in using the " Search " button.

However, something like tuning a standalone ECU is an entirely different animal. It's a pretty difficult task. MSExtra forums and MSEXTRA Manuals have a wealth of information. They have a very knowledgeable staff of people including the developers of the software.However, particularly with the Manuals, There is such a wealth of information, that the particular issue you wish to address can sometime be hard to find.

Some of the navigation links also lead to old information out-dated information.  This can lead you on a bit of a wild Goose chase. But the people there will generally chime in with corrections. Because MS is a DIY build, that in itself can cause confusion because boards can have optional ways of building them. 

What does annoy people, is that if specific instructions or procedures are given, and then those instructions are not followed, that can be frustrating from a Tuners or helping persons  perspective. Garbage In = Garbage Out.... and it literally just becomes a waste of time. Just my .02c. 

Well that's good to know. I'm glad I don't have to feel like a dumbass when I get obvious sarcastic comments, like how I'm stupid for not knowing the answer to my own question.

Now as for the PW stability, would just changing the dead time help? Or would adjusting the current limit and such be the way to go. The current limit I'm using is what the megamanual says to use for low z injectors without resistors in line. I know the megamanual is out of date but I think those are good numbers to start with at the least. Also, the RPM stability. Should I just decrease the latency a bit? Or would I adjust the pots in the board. The whole "hysteresis and the other one (I forgot)" have me lost. Mind you, I am using the VR conditioner circuit and not the opto circuit.

Edited by baggedgoods

Well I've got it idling and I'm trying to stabilize the afrs. I have 260cc injectors. From 20-100kpa and 600-2500rpms, the cells are around 14-40. The car runs really really rich when I blip the throttle, like 11:1. When i pull it out of gear, it dies right away. I try to give it throttle before I take it out of gear but it hesitates so bad that it won't even increase in rpms. What's going on?

I changed from 2 squirts a cycle to 1 and it likes that a lot more. The dead time is 1.2 ms. Required fuel is 12.8. I'm on mobile because I don't have internet on the tuning laptop or else id post up a tune.

Well I've got it idling and I'm trying to stabilize the afrs. I have 260cc injectors. From 20-100kpa and 600-2500rpms, the cells are around 14-40. The car runs really really rich when I blip the throttle, like 11:1. When i pull it out of gear, it dies right away. I try to give it throttle before I take it out of gear but it hesitates so bad that it won't even increase in rpms. What's going on?

I changed from 2 squirts a cycle to 1 and it likes that a lot more. The dead time is 1.2 ms. Required fuel is 12.8. I'm on mobile because I don't have internet on the tuning laptop or else id post up a tune.

E-Mail me at the address I gave you in my PM and I have what should be a nice starting base for you. I've corrected all the WUE and ASE tables as well. 

I think the VE generators in Tuner Studio are not all that accurate, but this should be a pretty good start point. My AFR table should be spot on , so IF you O2 sensor is accurate and properly calibrated then you can use " Incorporate AFR Target ". However, if your O2 sensor has been Fuel soaked due to rich running or  overheated ( Innovate specs WB O2 sensor 12" away from Turbo ) . Then it may be advisable to turn that Option off. 

Note the factory bung in a ZX Turbo downpipe is for a Narrow Band O2 sensor. They can withstand a lot more heat transfer to the O2 sensor body than WB sensors. It's far too close to the Turbo for a WB sensor, unless you use one of those fancy O2 sensor extensions with a built in Heat sink. 

I won't post up Tunes on Forums any more, because they really have to be made for each specific acr.

BTW, finally found a definitive answer for the Dead Time for Z injectors. Also if you are not using dropping resister, the PWM Current limitation settings. Strangely enogh, it was all on Hybrid Z.... from 10 years ago. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/55910-injector-opening-times-spread-sheet/

Screenshot below. Click to expand:

post-44147-0-17207300-1493436925_thumb.jpg

Tune it the same as the MS-I. Set your PWM current limit % and time threshold per this table. Set injector opening time to 1ms. Set battery compensation to default (0.2ms/V). Set the injector PWM period to 50us. This is equivalent to 20kHz in frequency. This is what MS-I uses.

If you look at the measurement I made, the period of the ripple on the hold current is what the PWM period controls. If you look closely, you can fit about 10 of those cycles into one grid on the scope display. The timebase is 500us, so 500/10 = 50us.

Thanks to Morgen Kirby ( MerloZ )  for digging this Gem of an article up from the graveyard. 

Edited by Chickenman