HybridZ

L28 on MS2 low power

v01canic

Hey guys,

Got my tune done on my 76' L28 280z last week and the numbers are a little lower than I expected.  Hoping you guys could help.  Attached are my tune, log file, and dyno printout.  Also, when the car gets hot (i live in Phoenix AZ) i love RPM signal and the car stutters

Stock header

Cold air intake

W45 Intake manifold

N47 head

AEM Wideband

MS2

235cc injectors

3 2.msl

fady miata Dyno final.msq

image1.jpeg

Edited by v01canic

On 7/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, v01canic said:

Got my tune done on my 76' L28 280z last week and the numbers are a little lower than I expected. 

Stock header

Cold air intake

W45 Intake manifold

N47 head

AEM Wideband

MS2

235cc injectors

100 HP is pretty bad.  You don't mention a cam profile, or cam timing, or exhaust system, or compression ratio, or any head work, or much at all in the way of mechanical details.  Looks like a stock engine, which typically gets about 130 - 150 HP, with bigger injectors.  No point in the big injectors if you can't pull the air to use the fuel.

The site just had a series of posts about how attention to the fine details will get you more than the typical 150.  You're on the other side, working with few details.  No offense, it's just the way it looks.  The tune can only maximize to the limits of the mechanical work.

With the exception of the intake and the megasquirt, the engine is in stock form.  Even with no mods it seem a little low on power.

I was hoping someone would see something I was missing in the tune before I got down the rabbit hole of modifying the engine. 

6 hours ago, NewZed said:

You don't mention a cam profile, or cam timing, or exhaust system, or compression ratio, or any head work, or much at all in the way of mechanical details.  .....

No point in the big injectors if you can't pull the air to use the fuel.

It is low on power.  And you still haven't told much about the engine.  And you still have big injectors on a motor that has no need for them.  Like you're not really sure what you're doing.  Sorry.  You'll have to learn the basics of how engines work.  Especially these L series engines.  It's all well documented on the site.  Except for "W45 intake".  Not clear what that is.

Show that you have your cam on the right hole and the notch and groove are aligned.  What's your compression ratio?  Is valve lash properly adjusted?  The basic starting points, before you even begin tuning.  Your list of things doesn't mean a whole lot without the details.

Somebody can probably look at your MS file and get you a few more HP.  But there's a lot more to it than just a "tune".  Good luck.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:29 PM, v01canic said:

With the exception of the intake and the megasquirt, the engine is in stock form.  Even with no mods it seem a little low on power.

I was hoping someone would see something I was missing in the tune before I got down the rabbit hole of modifying the engine. 

PM sent.