HybridZ

Talked to some Supra guys with big singles..

BLKMGK

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Speaker:

dunno dude, a T78 IMO is one of the worst turbos to get on the Supra...

its a strict drag racing turbo... the A/R equivalent is like a 1.33... yes thats right smile.gif

and T78 Supras aren't all THAT fast ;) a T78 RX-7 will walk the dog on the Supra smile.gif mainly because the turbo is spooled around 4000-4500rpms instead of 5500 for the Supra :D

the BEST IMO kit is the RPS Single kit; it uses a T66, makes just as much power as the T78; and spools up a helluva lot faster

not sure what RPS's website is, but I'd check that out

Mitsu uses a different method to idendentify their turbos than say Garrett. The T-78 and T-66 are almost the same size. If you were to compair wheel size the T-78 would about a 68 (T-68) to the T-66. They should spool about the same using the same exhaust housing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quizzed a private mailing list I'm on dedicated to Supras running the new AEM ECU. One of them has been making really big power until he had a crankwalk issue (long story) but I didn't know what turbo he was running. Below is his response, it seems he's running a T78. He sells these kits as well as several of the much higher dollar ones so his response is interesting in light of the fact that he could've steered me towards a much more expensive kit..

The T78 is NOT laggy. It hits early, and a little too hard (if anything). The only drawback is the power curve is almost vertical. You can easily dyno 650rwhp without cams, and well over 700 with cams. I'm at 783rwhp with no lag, and as soon as I get this motor together and turn the boost up, I will be at around 850rwhp. I'm going to upgrade to a T88H because the T78 is not laggy, and 850rwhp will not be enough power for me. I have 7 extra NX nitrous kits in stock, so I'll probably throw one of those on there as well. smile.gif

The smaller turbos work, power is smooth and more manageable, but thats because they make less power and the power curve is not so steep. More power is harder to manage. I used to go sideways at 130mph at 15% throttle. So I put on a Tein Coil overs with very sticky tires. Now applying power is not an issue.

Of course this is just my opinion. smile.gif Hope this helps.

Take care,

Chris.

We'll see. Got to get fuel done first! As for th eRPS, their kits apparently have been found to have some fitment problems. stories vary though so it's hard to say for sure. Sadly, I don't think that Greddy manifold would fit ina Z but I promise to take measurements if anyone decides on a 2JZ swap. The 1JZ has certainly caught my eye!

I'm not a troll! Really!

I'm at 783rwhp with no lag, and as soon as I get this motor together and turn the boost up, I will be at around 850rwhp. I'm going to upgrade to a T88H because the T78 is not laggy, and 850rwhp will not be enough power for me. I have 7 extra NX nitrous kits in stock, so I'll probably throw one of those on there as well.
:eek::eek::eek:twak.gif

850hp NOT ENOUGH!! malebitchslap.gif

Ya' know what's funny? There's a guy in Florida, Scottie may know him - Jesus I think his name is, that runs a T88H on the street! Read over some of the SupraForums posts sometime - if you can get past some of the 'tudes and read some of the dyno stories you'll find that 500RWHP is somewhat common. eek2.gif Before you get too excited though recall that a Supra weighs like 3500+LBS. :( That motor and the 1JZGTE apparently fit in the 240Z though ;) Can you imagine what the weight loss would do to your ET?

One of the other odd things you'll notice is that Supra guys tend to talk in RWHP numbers most of the time. None of this guessing what's at the crank with 20% conversion factors. Recipes for getting these motors, and yes the 7MGTE motor, beefed up are all over the place. Look closely at the dyno curves though and you'll see that much of the power is top-end, as in 4K+ RPMs. With a stock redline of 7200RPM that's a pretty thin powerband. They can supposedly be safely bumped to nearly 8K but that requires an aftermarket ECU or one that's been PROMmed. Wait, I've GOT an aftermarket ECU! :D Honestly, a Lightning truck powerband is much more usable even if the power is lower. Peak power isn't everything and there's a reason why Supras are often called Dyno Queens.

On the highway though, from a roll, the Supra is just plain sick! My car downshifted from a cruising 6th to 3rd gear at say 65mph will actually get a little darty it's accelerating so hard! Heh, that was when I was running higher boost (390RWHP 427ftlbs), I'm only running 200KPA or about 1BAR right now but once I'm done chasing a possible ignition coil problem that will be raised as I continue to tune.

So yeah, there ARE Supra guys who really feel that 850+ crank HP isn't enough. Frankly, I'm NOT one of them. 550RWHP without having to add cams or go into the motor will make me happy, at least for now. I can only imagine what that power would do to a stock Z rear though :( The 1JZ with it's dual, not sequential, turbos and it's higher rev ability might be a better choice - but I'd want the Supra's 6speed (*$*). This trans is flat out nice and is a close ratio box that feels great. Unfortunatly it's a Getrag box that getting service for is next to impossible bonk.gif

I really wish I'd considered a Supra motor in my 240Z (shrug). Maybe an old skool Celica? Think it would fit in a 510? :eek:

Yes, I know Jesus. We use to hang at the DSM club meetings when he was into DSM and I had my AWD Eclipse. Last I heard, he is around 850+rwhp, but I have not seen or heard of him running the car at the track much anymore. The Titan car is also at 850+ and has already gone 9.0 @ 160 on DRs. I would not exactly call these street cars although Jesus probably drives his occassionally. I saw that Jesus won the Dyno contest at a Supra meet in Texas but I would bet he did not drive it there. I always define a street car as one that can be driven cross-country on an hour's notice to check/change fluids.

Very few cars, short Hennessy and Lingenfelter monsters can hang with a well modified SupraTT on the top-end. At the track, that is a different story. I would not bet against myself running against one that had up to 625+rwhp but on the street I would just give him the "You Da Man" salute :D . Jimbo, putting one of these in a Z makes my mouth water. A 625rwhp version would put me at around 9.70 @ 140 and be ready to cruise cross-country anytime. Sadly I will have just to tweaking my yank lump.

Seems like the Supra is the king of imports here in the US. That's very impressive that they can handle 900hp+ on a stock block. I believe the highest HP I've seen on the web a stock block is 921rwhp. I wish I had one.

In Japan it's a different story. In my opinion the Skyline is the king over there. High HP with AWD means great accelaration and great handling. I wish they sold Skyline here at the dealers.

They've hit 1040RWHP our at SP just recently. stock block but built guts of course. bonk.gif For a Z I'd look at the smaller 1JZ I think just to get the added revs. Dunno' what would work best for a tranny but the 6speed sure is sweet to drive! Whacky clutch setup though with that damned dual mass flywheel - ick. eek2.gif

As for the Skyline - I'm waiting for it to make it here. Don't count out the STI or the EVO VII. However from some reading I've done the Skyline requires internal mods and transaxle mods fairly early on in it's modification curve so while that AWD is awesome it's pricey as heck! From a bang for the buck standpoint the Supra is the Buick GN of the 90s IMO. Still pretty expensive though but they're pretty tough to break. Think I've got a bad ignition coil though - little things like that suck ugg.gif

I hear ya' Scottie, on the drag strip these are a bitch to hookup I've found. If I'm driving you're winning ;) They make big numbers on the dyno and fly on the highway but it's peaky power that's not as easy to put to use on the dragstrip. Don't tell the other Supra owners I said that though as it's apparently blasphemy to admit a Supra fault malebitchslap.gif Most of my driving is street though and while folks like Jesus can call a T88H a "street" turbo I'd like somehting more responsive. Will probably try to get a ride in a T78 Supra before too long just to see how it spools. Want to find out if I have a choice of exaust housings for that sucker too. Agree on the "street" definition although right now my car can be a PITA in traffic it can still run cool A/C and be driven - daily (it is). I don't want to get away from that and require nitrous to spool :rolleyes: We'll see, the ECU is keeping me fairly busy right now as is the possibly faulty coil - seems to NOT work when heatsoaked but I'm trying to be sure it's the coil.... Still learning about it all!

• 4 years later...
I got one for ya... anyone know what the difference between a 400HP supra and a 700HP supra is? Nothing they both run 12s....:lmao:

BTW good job bringing back a 5 year old thread

No kidding! I saw this thread come up and I looked at the date thinking, I've never seen this one before...Holy Crap this is old!

Guest Crispy Chicken
Operative word.....SHOULD. You apparently do not know much about turbo engines.

Agreed!!! You have to compare oranges to oranges!! Compare an NA 2jz to a NA sbc. Then compare a turbo 2jz to a turbo sbc. Now that's a comparison. I think it's completely retarded to compare any FI engine to any NA engine regardless of displacement. But people will continue to do so until the end of the world!! "Dude on 32psi my 1.3 liter in-line 4 puts down like 30 more hp than that stock v8. I should be able to win the race, by a car length from a 40 roll." hahahaha... I love street racing stories!!!

Jimbo, putting one of these in a Z makes my mouth water. A 625rwhp version would put me at around 9.70 @ 140 and be ready to cruise cross-country anytime.

Went back and reread this post and that quote is from July 2002. I wonder if Z-Gad read that at the time :D :D

Simplybebop,

so what you are saying is that a stock V8 has more torque than a well set up 2JZ-GTE with a single. Well, confirms what I said about your knowledge of turbo cars.

i didnt say that, ol dude said that his 1.3 had more hp than a stock v8 and could win in a street race by atleast a length or 2. I told him his tqless wonder of a i-4, even if it had 30 or 50 more hp is seriously lacking in the tq department. So a v8 would probably whomp it, seriously look at any dyno of a i-4. and about the single turbo supras this video shows hp is nothing if u cant get it to the ground , watch at a 980whp supra gets whooped by a 500 and some odd hp mustang ( i think thats the hp) http://videos.streetfire.net/search/supra+vs.+cobra/0/215052a3-8700-403f-90b9-576933c026d0.htm

you can fix alot of lag on those bigger turbos by going with a smaller A/R exhaust housing and a big wastegate.

but with a smaller exhaust housing, it comes on like a lightswitcher, or one that activates a much brighter bulb. LOL

large A/R, more easing into boost... no?

might be a bit more streetable.

but with a smaller exhaust housing, it comes on like a lightswitcher, or one that activates a much brighter bulb. LOL

large A/R, more easing into boost... no?

might be a bit more streetable.

Excellent point. There is this misperception that a bigger turbo automatically means more lag and that is not correct. There are several parts to a turbo, 2 of which have significant effect on spoolup. If you are a dyno queen or like to "run from a roll", then the Q-trim exhaust wheel and 1.01 a/r makes sense :rolleyes:. OTOH, theses are the cars that make 800hp on the dyno but run 10.80 @ 148 in the 1/4-mile. Another common factor that affects spoolup is the tune, running too rich and not enough timing at low RPMs.

Ironically, most people understand the concept of a hybrid turbo but that thinking seems to go out the window when it comes time to get a real "big-boy" turbo because of the bigger is better syndrome.