HybridZ

Clutch not engaging after transmission swap

goovaerl

I'm in the middle of a 4spd to 5spd transmission swap on my 1978 280z. I dropped the 4spd and removed the throwout bearing and the clutch fork and installed them on to the new 5spd. Put the new trans in, attached the slave cylinder, and the clutch pedal goes to the floor. No feeling and not much movement from the slave cylinder plunger. 

According to all the research I've done, it looks like as long as you keep the same clutch/flywheel/pressure plate combo with the matching throwout bearing and clutch fork you should be fine. I feel confident that the tob/fork are installed correctly. Could the slave or master cylinders be bad? They weren't before I pulled the trans but stranger things have happened.

If anyone has any ideas or other threads they can recommend about where I can go from here that would be very helpful

Might be a dumb answer but I was unaware that I had to bleed the clutch after just swapping transmissions. I guess I assumed the system would hold pressure since I didn't mess with it at all. Was the act of removing the slave cylinder from the transmission enough to depressurize the lines and allow air in? 

52 minutes ago, goovaerl said:

Was the act of removing the slave cylinder from the transmission enough to depressurize the lines and allow air in? 

It might have been.  The piston in the slave could have pushed forward allowing fluid to escape and air to get in.  The rubber dust cap will hold it in, it's a tight seal.  Easy way to tell is to pop the rubber dust cap off.  You can do it by finger with everything assembled.  If a bunch of fluid comes out that's a sign.  Be careful, the dust seal can hold pressure and fluid will squirt.

Also possible that you didn't get the throwout collar clipped/positioned to the fork correctly.  Put it on the wrong side, maybe.  No offense.

NewZed, no offense taken. I installed it incorrectly the first time. Didn't have the tob properly seated far back enough and it was just pushing up against the pressure plate the entire time. Pulled the trans out again, reseated the bearing and clutch fork, pushed it further back into the bell housing and heard/felt it click into place on the pivot ball. Manually moved it back and forth a couple times and it felt much better. I pulled off the rubber boots on the slave cylinder plunger and definitely saw some fluid in there among all the grime. It obviously wasn't making a good seal