HybridZ

new 240Z owner 5-1972

Hi after reading and searching for over a year I finally purchased my first 240 Z. It is a white with red interior 4 speed built in May of 72. It has 2/3 of its original paint and I intend not to paint it. One of my questions is how are the interior floors finished. My original floors looked to have factory sound deadening attached to the floor and then painted the body color white. Unfortunately the previous owner put down Dyna mat on top of this and did a bad job. So I am scraping in ALL off down to metal and then bringing it back to factory correct appearance. Is the factory sound deadening available or do I have to use an aftermarket product? Please send me photos of original floors and vendors that sell the factory sound deadening.

thanks I know I will have lots of questions along the way.  

rjalldritt@gmail.com

Welcome to HybridZ and the wonderful world of Z cars!

I don't think the original sound proofing material is available any longer; I believe it was an asbestos product.  And the new products (e.g. FatMat, Dynomat, Noico, etc) are far superior in many ways.  There are also several good vendors for new and used OEM-style and restoration parts -- here's a couple I like to use, but there are certainly many others out there:

Z Car Source

MSA Auto

Z Car Depot

Also, are you familiar with using dry ice to remove the sound deadener?  Mix dry ice with denatured alcohol in a bucket, and then scoop the slurry all over the areas you want to remove the material from....be aware that it will also usually remove any old sound deadener/rust proofing material on the exterior of the sheetmetal as well as the interior.  Leave it on for a few minutes and then bang/scrape the material off.  It literally freezes and pops off the metal very easily. 

Good luck with it.

Quietride.com seems to have some precut kits that match the original of that's what you're really aiming for. Unfortunately don't know if they only use Dynamat, or some mix of their own materials and dynamat in specific areas just resold as a universal kit.

https://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/datsun_z_catalog.pdf

Check out classiczcars.com, there are discussions over there on suitable replacement materials for the factory sound deadening, and the site is generally geared more toward stock restorations than this site, which is geared to modifications. I think you'll find yourself very much at home there with your goals for the car.