HybridZ

Ignition Switch Wiring Question

calZ

I'm working on a full schematic for my car's wiring before I physically wire it. I'll be using a DZ start module, and I'm looking at changing from the included relays to some in a fuse box. I'm trying to keep all fuses/relays in one place, rather than scattered around the car. 

In the ignition switch, there's your standard contacts for the accessory power, ignition power, and starter relay, but there's also a pin that heads to the coil via the tach. This wire is also joined to the ignition pin through a resistor. Am I interpreting this correctly when I conclude that since I'll be using coil-on-plug and an aftermarket tach that I can omit this wire? 

Datsun240Z1972.jpg.608423e170dd07bc28e1af2bc2925c8f.jpg

"In the ignition switch, there's your standard contacts for the accessory power, ignition power, and starter relay, but there's also a pin that heads to the coil via the tach. This wire is also joined to the ignition pin through a resistor. Am I interpreting this correctly when I conclude that since I'll be using coil-on-plug and an aftermarket tach that I can omit this wire? "

Do you mean the green - white wire? On cars with point type distributor, this wire is attached to the (+) side of the coil and was intended to provide a full 12 volts to the distributor during cranking.  If you are using an HEI distributor or some other ignition you can use this wire to run the electric fuel pump while cranking. The ignition switch energizes this wire wire just before engaging the starter which makes it handy for filling the bowels on carburetor equipped cars before cranking the engine.

Or do you mean the Black - White wire with protective sleeve?  This wire provides power to the distributor or HEI dist. or other ignition system

Here is how I wired my SBC 350 with an  HEI distributor:

GRN - WHT Attach to fuel pump side of oil pressure safety switch so fuel pump will operate during starter operation

YLW - BLK

Oil pressure gauge

BLK-WHT without protective sleeve

TACH terminal on HEI distributor. Used only with 280Z tach

BLK-WHT with protective sleeve

BAT terminal on HEI distributor. This is the wire that provides power to the HEI distributor or other ignition system.

YLW-WHT

Water temp gauge

WHT - RED (thick)

Alternator terminal. Use 14 ga. Fusible Link.

280Z BLUE WIRE

Not used

WHT

Positive terminal on starter

BLK - YLW

Starter S terminal

Edited by Miles

I found a better diagram to look at than the one I uploaded. The green-white wire is what I was referring to. 

Thinking about it more, it doesn't really matter what those wires did, since I won't be using any of the original circuits. I was asking mostly as a sanity check, but I'll just put power to the DZ start and check what it puts out to the pins and then wire off that.