Jump to content
HybridZ

Recommended Posts

Hi, looking into getting 3" and 2" zg flares for 74 260z

 

dumb question but anyone putting flares on is always cutting the wheel wells right? Thinking of running 16x9 but still mulling over options

 

I have rarely seen anyone custom molding the flares into the body (eliminating the bolts). Is there anyone that's done this you know of? If there is a thread you can direct me to would be much appreciated. I'm sure it's not cheap bodywork but planning to paint anyway so I'd at least like to look into it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calZ said:

I don't think I've seen anyone mold in ZG flares, since their whole aesthetic is the bolt on look. Plenty of people have molded in other flares, though. The bodywork in this thread was really well done.

Thanks. I did ask zg and they said sure they can be molded. Not aware of any though that are specifically meant to be molded. Maybe that would be better. Either way it probably isn't cheap

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a good variety of bubble flares that weren't bolt on. MSA had a couple different varieties IIRC, I had some from a company called MAS, Jim Cook Racing had some, there were others. 

You should NOT buy from this guy, has had a terrible reputation for decades, but he still has the pictures stolen directly out of MSA's old catalog showing some of the bubble flares: http://showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JMortensen said:

There used to be a good variety of bubble flares that weren't bolt on. MSA had a couple different varieties IIRC, I had some from a company called MAS, Jim Cook Racing had some, there were others. 

You should NOT buy from this guy, has had a terrible reputation for decades, but he still has the pictures stolen directly out of MSA's old catalog showing some of the bubble flares: http://showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

 

Nice I'll take a look at those. This is basically the look I'm going for but without the round tie in to the front bumper https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA02/50-1565

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

The issue you will run into with molded fiberglass boded to metal is cracking at seam.  The fiberglass and sheet will expand and contract at different rates which creates the crack.  Some guys claim to bond fiberglass to sheet metal without cracking but was not worth the risk for me.  Either run with the bolt on or fabricate the flare out of metal.  I too wanted the smooth look at first but settled for the bolt on type from Marugen Shoukai, extra wide rear 3" and regular front 2".  The shipping was as much as the flares, doh!  Well worth the price to get them here because the fitment is precise. 

 

https://www.rhdjapan.com/search/model/nissan_fairlady-z/car/nissan/brands/marugen-shoukai/category/exterior_fenders-and-doors

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 280Z-LS3 said:

The issue you will run into with molded fiberglass boded to metal is cracking at seam.  The fiberglass and sheet will expand and contract at different rates which creates the crack.  Some guys claim to bond fiberglass to sheet metal without cracking but was not worth the risk for me.  Either run with the bolt on or fabricate the flare out of metal.  I too wanted the smooth look at first but settled for the bolt on type from Marugen Shoukai, extra wide rear 3" and regular front 2".  The shipping was as much as the flares, doh!  Well worth the price to get them here because the fitment is precise. 

 

https://www.rhdjapan.com/search/model/nissan_fairlady-z/car/nissan/brands/marugen-shoukai/category/exterior_fenders-and-doors

 

Hey thanks for the reply. After seeing a build yesterday where they matched the body color, I liked the bolt on look in that case. I actually saw these before but pics are not very good and pretty weak description. Did you go with standard, deluxe, or special? Confused on the sizes. It says adds 3cm on each side, not inches. That can't be right, 3 cm is nothing.

 

I see they have panels and doors too. Its intriguing but think it would be really weird and too light to have plastic doors no?

 

Do you have a pic of your build with the flares? Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, guyrelax said:

 

Hey thanks for the reply. After seeing a build yesterday where they matched the body color, I liked the bolt on look in that case. I actually saw these before but pics are not very good and pretty weak description. Did you go with standard, deluxe, or special? Confused on the sizes. It says adds 3cm on each side, not inches. That can't be right, 3 cm is nothing.

 

I see they have panels and doors too. Its intriguing but think it would be really weird and too light to have plastic doors no?

 

Do you have a pic of your build with the flares? Thanks

No pics yet of flares installed.  I have them taped to the side of the car.  Just ordered up wheels/tires and will install flares after they arrive in a few weeks.

 

"Standard, deluxe and special" refers to the thickness of the fiberglass from thin to thickest.  I went with the wide version in "special" for the rear which is about 3" wide per flare.  I believe they only offer one size for the front which is about 2" wide per side and think it's standard thickness. 

 

The flares were in stock when I ordered them so they arrived in like two weeks.  RHDJapan was great to work with, then sent numerous emails keeping me informed of  transaction progress.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...