HybridZ

Crank pulley wobbling

zboi

Is it normal to have wobble in the crank pulley on these engines? There is maybe a 1/4" difference in the the space between the crank pulley and the timing indicator as I rotate the engine. I also see a slight wobble in the water pump pulley, it's probably closer to 1/16" though.

I had pulled it off with a puller to do a timing chain job. Woodruff key fits very snug. I put a dial indicator on the pulley, it is perfectly centered, just 10 thousandths of pulley runout. Not trying to spend $300 on a new balancer. I guess I'll see if it's a problem when I get the engine running.

If you pulled on the rim of the pulley you pulled on the rubber.  Might have damaged it.

10 thousandths is not 250 thousandths.  Not clear what your first post meant, with the 1/4 inch..  Anyway, if your timing marks seem off that's a sign of a failing damper also.  Good luck.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, zboi said:

1/4" difference in the the space between the crank pulley and the timing indicator as I rotate the engine.

Beside the fact that it's a sign that the damper rubber has been damaged and/or is failing, 1/4" will almost certainly throw belts at higher RPM.  I damaged a damper pulley on an old muscle car and it used to throw the power steering pump belt when doing typical high school kid stuff in the rain.  Pretty exciting, but it was a good arm workout when it happened.