HybridZ

Head gasket L28et

antwanray

I have searched and searched, but still no clear answer on where to get the proper head gasket for the L28et. 

I understand that Nissan used the same part number for L28 and L28et gaskets but this doesnt sound accurate. Is this true?

I am in the process of rebuilding a L28et right now. The previous owner replaced the oem with a felpro gasket. The gasket has bubbled slightly where ports exist in the head/block.  I can answer positively that felpro doesnt include all of the water passages. Can anyone help in finding a supplier that includes the correct ports??

The Cometic gasket that was designed by a member here (Jeff Priddy) is the current favorite. It has individually bossed holes for every possible port on every head/block, allowing you to add even more cooling pathways if you want. Godzilla and Milkfab both carry it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:23 AM, calZ said:

The Cometic gasket that was designed by a member here (Jeff Priddy) is the current favorite. It has individually bossed holes for every possible port on every head/block, allowing you to add even more cooling pathways if you want. Godzilla and Milkfab both carry it.

Bummer…I was hoping to not spend $300 on a head gasket!

5 hours ago, antwanray said:

What kind of boost were you running??

16psi

T3 super 60 compressor trim 

~300ft-lbs torque. 

I assume you are just going light to light. If you are not sustaining boost and high load for long periods of time, I don’t think these little details are going to matter much. If you are going to be using it for drag or road racing, a $300 gasket isn’t a big deal, and you will be looking at many more upgrades to keep the engine alive including an oil cooler, baffled oil pan, etc. 

Also, there is a dude who used to frequent hybridZ (TonyD) and did some testing by blocking some of the coolant passageways at the gasket and allowing the extreme outer ones to carry the flow. He saw better temperature distribution across the cylinders, including the problematic #5 and #6. Basically, it’s not as intuitive as you may think. 

If you are going from light to light, coolant water is a very efficient heat sink and some minor blockage (assuming it’s vital to begin with) will be solved by exchanging heat with the remaining flowing coolant. 

I’d just send it. 

get an oil temp gauge and put a sensor in your oil pan or oil pickup. Oil temp is a much better gauge on how instantaneously hot your internal components are getting. Like I said, coolant is just a heat sink, while your oil is literally in contact with your critical surfaces. 

Edited by AydinZ71