HybridZ

What struts to use in 2024?

I currently have Koni 8610-1437race struts installed at all four corners.  I sectioned my struts and installed them about 15 years ago, and mostly I have been happy with them.  The original strut housings that I sectioned were from an early 260Z.  One of my rear strut housings has worn out the bearing surface where the stub axle presses in.  The stub axle slides in with no interference fit on the bearing, and I am starting to get some bearing noise.

So, I have purchased some 280Z rear strut housings and plan to section them.  However, before I go down that road I want to get opinions whether there are better options than the Koni 8610 struts?  It has been a while, and technology improves.  I wouldn't mind upgrading as long as the upgrade cost isn't significant.

So, in 2024, what struts would you use?  This car is only used for track days.  I run 500 lb/in front and 400/lb/in rear springs rates.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

I'm running the -1437s, as well; and am not aware of anything better in the same price range.  I'm sure you're familiar with the high-end stuff, like KW, MCS and Intrax -- nice hardware, but orders of magnitude more expensive.  ☹️

Would be interested in what you learn, and eventually decide; if you wouldn't mind posting your results here as a follow-up.

(If you don't mind my asking...what sway bar(s) are you running, with those spring rates?  Tires?  Thx.)

One avenue I thought seemed promising but haven't pursued is to use the adapters that people sell to screw in a cheap Chinese coilover (AZC, T3, Apex) and find a really high quality strut that fits, like a Penske or Ohlins or something. I think this is essentially the route the Coffey went to get those 46mm Bilsteins in that rally car that went across Asia, but John had the adapters machined because he was way ahead of the curve on that idea, IIRC. FWIW, that guy ended up swapping those Bilsteins out for something he thought was better. Bilsteins are supposed to be pretty tunable, but you have to have someone who can do it, which is a whole nuther can of worms...

I think the easy button is to fork out big bucks for the KW or similar high quality stuff. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 4:56 AM, 74_5.0L_Z said:

One of my rear strut housings has worn out the bearing surface where the stub axle presses in.  The stub axle slides in with no interference fit on the bearing, and I am starting to get some bearing noise.

The axle fits in to the inner race of the bearing.  The bearing outer race fits in to the casting.  Might be a misunderstanding or just imprecise writing.  An observation that might matter.  Maybe you need a new axle.  Good luck.

image.png.acb00da1e318fbccace037d9c48194b7.png

Edited by NewZed

What Dan is describing is a known issue with Zs that are raced. The forces on the stub axle stretch out the bearing pocket in the strut housing. Had a guy on FB DM me about the same thing just a couple days ago. Now that has me thinking about putting a reinforcement ring around where the bearing is located. I bet that would be pretty easy to do, too...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes.  Jon is correct.  The bore in the housing has gotten deformed and the bearing is no longer a press fit.

The car has 400 lb/in rear springs and no rear sway bar.  In the front, I have been running 500 lb/in springs with a 20 mm sway bar, but I recently changed to 425 lb/in springs with a 25 mm sway bar.  I'm running 15x10 wheels with Avon 23.5x10.5-15 bias ply slick on all four corners 

The old set-up worked well for autocross,  and the new set-up works for road courses.

I will probably just stick with the Konis.  I may step up to the 8611-1259 instead of the 8610-1437.

Anyone have experience with those?

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z
  • Thanks 1