HybridZ

Need help here guys, new here and in trouble...

Guest ON3GO

Ok my name is mike and im new here.

I have been a Z owner and lover for many years now and i just bought a 1973 240Z.

I have a 1993 300zx also but it will be sold soon so i can put the money into the 240Z and then buy a 510 smile.gif

This is the problem... im lost.

I paid 300 bucks for a rust free 240Z with no motor, missing seats and lots of other parts.

Now I always wanted to do what Darius did with his Z but I know for a fact he has lots of internal work so he can run that 15psi on that LT1. Now i would love to do this but im a poor college student thats not making enough money to do crap like that. So now i bought a Z with hopes of doing something crazy and fast but on a budget...and now im lost.

Should I just put a LT1 with a 6-speed and do some bolt-ons and then a nice shot of N.O.S say like a 100shot.

Or say put a SR20DET or RB20DET in it and spend what i can to make it fast enough for me.

What do you guys think?

Would a SR20DET fit? would the 5-speed?

anybody that has any ideas please post and ill take note..

what i want is a low 12sec car that handles and that i can drive everyday..

Thanks guys

mike

yeah i know the SR20DET has a 6-speed too but thats only with the S15 and I rather just get a S13 red top and start boosting.

I know alot about SR20's smile.gif

and I know theres many ways to make a hybrid Z fast... but from what i said what would be the best way to go? Has anybody ever done a SR20DET in a 240? or a RB20?

any more info guys?

mike

Guest Anonymous

If your like the poor students I hang out with here in Tempe, I'm not sure a swap is even feasible cheaply enough. My advise, finish school, get a kick ass job and build your darius replica... But you know your finances better than I, to be honest on a budget, I'd put in a 280zx turbo motor with an intercooler, free flowing exhaust, more boost and I think you'd be happy with it until you can build your dream Z (which could be the same car since it won't get butchered putting in the ZX turbo motor). This solution could put you in the 12's pretty easily. Just an opinion. If you have money above this solution, then I would'nt call yourself a poor student. :D

Regards,

Lone

well i think ill have about 11k for this project..

im selling my 1993 300zx, and im selling some other **** that i just dont need anymore.

now i dont need the best of anything..

like i dont need power windows, dont need Sparco racing seats, dont need the best brakes in the world (if i can live with my Z32 brakes i can live with anything), and i dont need a 3K paint job.

I want old school style smile.gif

Have you ever seen the late 80's trans ams with the black mesh rims with the polished lip? thats the kind of rims i want.. i just cant find them.

i can always throw Z32 300zx seats in and try to make them fit, and hell paint just adds weight smile.gif .

so how much does a LT1 basic swap go for?

like what will i need and also what would i have to change as in like suspension and etc..

thanks

mike

If you have 11k, you can do pretty much any of the swaps you talked about, IMO.

I think the Sr20 would be sweet, but I think the 280turbo engine would be cheaper still. Besides the fact it fits with no real modifications.

I would think the LT1 and 6 speed would be enough engine to put you in the 12's, but there are going to be a lot of conversion issue's like speedometer cable, clutch actuation, trans mounting, shifter position, driveshaft, etc.

That is what sucks up money faster than rosanne can demolish an all you can eat buffet.

The other factor is how much of the work can you do? If you have to pay someone, hipo work is expensive, so you should figure about half of that money for labor.

I would love to have $11K and a rust-free 240Z. I think I could put something together for that :D

Have you ever seen the late 80's trans ams with the black mesh rims with the polished lip? thats the kind of rims i want.. i just cant find them
They are hard to find, but you should be looking for Weds Autobahns, 15x7.

Do they make them in 16's?

Also i have some questions..

what autometer gauges do i have to buy that fit in the stock places.. like new speedo, tach, and then the smaller gauges.. what sizes?

also is there any place i should look into so i can get a driveshaft made.... (for the lt1).

thanks

mike

does anybody have pic's of these rims?

all i now know is LT1 is what im doing, but now im lost on mods for it.... and lost on the gauges and interior work.

lol plus suspension..

smile.gif

mike

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked on autometer's website and they dont have many 2 5/8 gauges, well not ones i really like.

any other gauges i should look into?

also does anybody have any links to some sites that have some cool stuff for 240Z's that i prob dont really need but is just cool to have :D

thanks again

mike

Hey Mike,

HUGE FLAG RAISE!

low 12 second car, 11k budget, but I quoth:

, dont need the best brakes in the world
ACK! puke.gif

Sorry, you just hit a sore spot for me. Anyone who wants a car with that kinda power and acceleration, but doesn't want great brakes has something wrong. The stock Z brakes can be made to work well, actually pretty good. But pushing somewhere over 300 hp to the wheels as you are talking about and saying you don't want brakes is nuts! I realize you may have meant "I don't really want 911TT Big Reds all the way around", but I wasn't sure.

I cannot, and will not, endorse to anyone doing a project to put that much speed into a car w/o safety. I am talking at least some form of roll bar, and even better a full cage of some kind. Serious brake upgrades and suspension work to ensure you are not riding around on 30 year old bushings and such. Plus newer seat belts would be great as well. And if you notice, Darrius has a full cage......

I realize this comes out from left field, but if you don't feel like I do, I have no sympathy for you. Again, you may already think that, but that is not the impression I get. Old school is cool, as long as its safe.

With that being said, and knowing you are A) in college, and B) on a budget,(even if it is rather big), and C) you are "a poor college student not making enough money to do crap like that" I would suggest the following:

First, you need to plan money for basic suspension work. I would suggest replacing most of your bushings with G-machine or something similar,(poly type, better for daily drivers than fancy ball joints and such). I would also budget for all new shocks and springs.

Next, some form of brake upgrades for the speeds you want to run. Some form of vented brake upgrade up front followed by either a "green stuff" type shoe on the rear drums or a conversion to rear discs. Brakes and suspension will likely eat about $2k of your budget, about $1k for brakes and $1k for suspension. I would spend more on brakes b/c that is a bigger safety issue.

Next, figure on a $500-1000 paint job. You still gotta pick up the chicks you know, and they won't ride around in a hoptie. coollook.gif

Next, you will need some form of interior, figure basic seats, a carpet kit from somewhere like Victoria British and other misc. interior items,(new belts, possibly a harness, maybe an autopower roll bar, misc. plastic trim bits and such). That will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. Realize I am quoting realistic prices. Yea, you can do an entire interior for $50 and it can look very good too! However, for a budget, you need to make sure you are putting aside what you need, not what you think you can make it work on. Otherwise you will have an empty wallet and maxed out credit cards when it is done.

Next we have gauges and a radio and speakers,(gotta have tunes), talking another $500 or so here,(can be much more if you go nuts).

Oh yea, tires and rims, there goes another we'll say 260 for rims,(65 each), and $400 for tires. Ok, now we might be ready for the engine and tranny! Oh wait! There is the rear end. For the power you were talking about, you will need an upgrade to an R-200, and would prefer one with a LSD. Arizona Z has them for 750. Lets say you get lucky and score a LSD R200 with the ratio you want for $500. We'll assume the half shafts are in good shape.

Ok, now we can go on to the drivetrain and engine!

The total thus far is.....$4660. Man, some are saying, that is a lot! "I built mine for XXX, not XXXX...!" Yea, but am I really that far out of line for a decent car? Lets say you are frugal and figure out a way to do all the above on your stripped car for $4000. And I used the lower side when I had two figures for one thing...

So that leaves ~7k for your swap. But wait, you are a poor college student with no job, so you siphoned off $2k drinking ugg.gif and paying bills that you couldn't cover with your poor paying job,(again, is this unrealistic?). So now you have 5k. I say, for the $$, you will be hard pressed to beat a 2.8L turbo setup. Build it smart, with an aftermarket turbo, a good intercooler and a good ECU or aftermarket FI system and you should have 300-350 at the wheels and be running in the 12's no prob! If you went V8 and used the JTR stuff, you would approach the upper end of your budget. A used LT-1 and a 6 speed,(you can always go for a 4L60E), will eat a bunch of your remaining budget. Now you have to install all of it... Oh yea, a shortened driveshaft, linkage for the shifter if auto... You see? A V8 is a great way to get power in a Z, but I think the L6 turbo route is eaiser. As a matter of fact, I would suggest putting a Junkyard aquired,(excuse me, salvage yard ), 280ZX turbo motor and tranny in right now and start driving it while you do the other things. With the above, you will come in with a few thou to spare. Trust me, you will find a way to spend it all, even if it is not drunk! :D

Driving a project is much more fun than working on it for 2 + years and not driving it,(or 11+ yrs in Pete's case!). If you start out with a stock turbo, you can slowly upgrade and learn the system while you work on things such as brakes, suspension, interior, and paint. I think you will be much happier in the end. Just be sure to set aside your budget money and not touch it. You might look into buying someones abandoned L6 turbo project, or a completed one that someone decided to move on to something else like a V8 or a RB etc..

Good luck. The key is planning, planning, planning. And stick to your plan.

-Bob

I have to agree with Bob 100%. Make sure first that items such as suspension, brakes and interior are taken care of before you start thinking about big HP. After all whats the point in having all that HP if the car is all over the road and then you can't stop. Also it's not all about going fast it's also about your cool looking ride. Begin your project, take no short cuts and stick to your plan. It's just your toy, so don't sweat it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Its more then just a toy, its my car.. my only car. im selling my 300zx so i have money for this hell hole.

to be honest i dont have to worry about brakes at all.

I have connections with a few friends, and we are gonna try and put on a set of those new Wave Rotors. I heard they are awesome and stop better then anything.

I need rims... the deal with me getting a set of 280zx rims to just throw on went south.

so i want those Enkie black mesh rims with the polished lip... anybody have a website for these rims?

i also need to find a set of coilovers for the car.

i dont know much about suspension parts.

also im getting a 6-point roll bar made for the car for 300 bucks.

Should i replace all the bushings? if so where and what bushings do i need?

also do Sparco Torino seats fit in my small 240Z?

...more questions.....

where can i find a 200mph speedo? i just want one lol.

I want Blitz BL gauges.. but im not sure if one of the two sizes fit in the three little holes on the dash. do they? http://www.blitz-na.com

also i will be using the 280zx turbo motor in the car... so what rear end should i get, and what parts needed for that motor swap do i need to get??!?!

if any more questions come to mind ill ask.

thanks guys

mike