HybridZ

Dynoed the twinturbo today

240Z Turbo

I will have to print out the sheets and verify the RPM points shown on the graphs. Ok, first was to establish a baseline. All results are at the wheels and car tuned to 11.6:1-11.8:1.

10psi- 266hp & 310ft-lbs

I was pleased with this for a baseline as my single T64 dynoed 310ft-lbs@19psi.

18psi- 326hp & 361ft-lbs

Same as before...more boost, 8psi on the twins, and only 65hp. What the hell is going on with these results. The car feels much more different that just 65hp, but that is what the dyno says? I have been assured that an auto tranny will never read correctly on the dyno?

It has got to be something with this damn tranny and/or converter. I did a calculation of power based on the injector duty cycle and it says about 485hp(crank). Scottie, don't get too excited yet...I then made another pass with the NOS.

18psi and 100shot NOS- 366@4500rpm

Don't be fooled, the tires broke loose evertime over 4500rpm and I could not get a reading as the hp curve was heading straight up. Oh yea, this was good....The car gained 120RWHP at 4500rpm over 18psi with no NOS. I know this seems low, but the tires kept breaking loose at 4500rpm. I suspect it would read about 425hp if the tires would stick. It may be a good time to think about sticking a turbo 350 tranny in the car or going back to a 5-speed.

Anyway, took the car out on the street and it is just brutal at 18psi with 100shot/NOS. I also did some lauches and the car hit full boost quickly out of the hole with the NOS. Scottie, you're gonna get a run for your money! SEE YA FRIDAY!

James,

Wow, 2thumbs.gif

When I dyno my car, i was spinning the wheels as little 3200rpm. It took two guys to sit in the hatch, to distribute the weight over the car. With them in my car picked up another 37hp to the wheels. Must be the cheap tires (225x14" rims) im running. Could you've been doing the same? The Dyno i ran on is a Mustang Dyno dual rollers.

later

Good luck on friday

Ron

I just love it when people give a bunch of information, it helps with the mental picture. I sure wish I could hear those twins spool'n up. Hopefully someone will catch your car on video this Friday. I can't wait for you and Scottie to pair up. To bad the race isn't closer to me. Nice respectable dyno figures! 2thumbs.gifhail.gif

!M!

New update on the dyno run. Went back and looked at the runs at my buddies shop. It seems the setup was off by 2000rpm for some reason so I suspect the torque figures are not going to be correct. The 366hp@wheels was at 5200rpm, not 4450rpm as I had thought. Also, on every run the car made peak hp at redline which was 7000rpm and on some runs 7200rpm. The peak torque occurs at about 5700rpm if the torque curve can be trusted. Now, after printing out the NOS and non NOS 18psi runs, the car gained about 210RWHP and not the 120RWHP as I had thought at 5200rpm. I was accidently comparing the torque curve from the non-NOS run with the hp on the NOS run. Yes, the turbo's take that long to spool as I had the Profec B set on its lowest spool setting. I think I just need to redyno the car after the Mustang Dyno rep comes to do a training session.

So how do you know what the thing did at 7k if it broke the tires loose? :confused::confused:

Or is the rpm that it occurs is now 2000 rpms higher? confused2.gif

How about starting over and putting the numbers out there and the rpms so we can see what the actual results are?

Sounds like you need to kick the dyno operator in his arse. twak.gifmalebitchslap.gif

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

So how do you know what the thing did at 7k if it broke the tires loose? :confused::confused:

Or is the rpm that it occurs is now 2000 rpms higher? confused2.gif

How about starting over and putting the numbers out there and the rpms so we can see what the actual results are?

Sounds like you need to kick the dyno operator in his arse. twak.gifmalebitchslap.gif

LOL Lockjaw! That is quite the post for post number 666!!! b_hand.gif

Ok, on all the runs w/out the NOS the car pulled to 7K rpm and the hp was still heading up. I never peaked the hp under 7K rpm. So, on the NOS run, 18psi & 100shot NOS, the tires broke loose at 5200rpm and the reading does not compute after that point. Therefore, the last reading at 5200rpm was 366hp and it was still heading up. We are going to hook up the magnetic pickup next time to read rpm directly from the engine. How it reads is to put the car in the gear you will make the pull and bring the motor to 3Krpm. You then let the dyno know you are at 3Krpm. It then knows your rpm based on the speed of the dyno. I know, it is a funky method because any tire spin will funkafy the results. Let us just see what the car does tomorrow at the track.

You guys know that James is running an automatic, right? It's my understanding that it's not that uncommon for automatics to get funky results on inertia dynos - my guess is that they don't load the torque converter properly, and it slips more than it normally would.

This could also explain the weirdness with the RPM calibration - the dyno was calculating RPM, based on what the wheelspeed was when the calibration was done at 3000 engine rpm. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, it all makes sense - the engine pulled to 7000 on each run, but the wheelspeeds only equated to ~5000rpm, due to TC slippage.

That makes sense about the slipping and RPM calculations. So what is it that makes all the automatic Supras become the dyno queens they are? They must have figured something out, they have such pretty peaks on their ungodly high graphs...hmmm.

Just goes to show, the only dyno that matters is the STRIP!!! Good luck to James and Scottie! rockon.gif

Well, it's not much of an issue for manuals (like God intended tongue.gif ).

I'm not a big expert on automatics, but I would have to guess that it has very much to do with the characteristics of the torque converter. Are they able to lock the converter for the dyno runs, maybe?