HybridZ

Jet hot coating???

jeffp

I was talking to the owner of a local speed shop about coatings. He says that jet hot is mostly hype, and thatnearly every set of headers that jet hot had done for them was flaking.

At the time he told me of two other companies that do coatings, one of which has yet to flake.

If I get the name I will post it. ;)

Originally posted by denny411:

[QB]I was talking to the owner of a local speed shop about coatings. He says that jet hot is mostly hype, and thatnearly every set of headers that jet hot had done for them was flaking.[QB]

I hate to say, but I hear this about 30-40% of every feedback post I see on them, on another board. With that in mind there are other places, Paul Berry is the one that comes to mind the most, I have heard nothing but good so far with them. Maybe Jet Hot is to commercial doing things quickly, dunno.

Yes, the 1300 degree coating (anybody's 1300 degree coating) will flake off if you run it at temperatures higher than 1300 degrees, which pretty much all of us do. That's why they rate it as a 1300 degree coating. Choose the right coating for the application.

If you want to coat a header, exhaust manifold or turbine housing, you should be using the 2000 degree coatings. I have been using the JetHot2000 coatings for quite some time, and it has held up very well. The 2000 degree stuff is not shiny like the 1300 deg stuff, though.

FWIW, I used a patented stainless-ceramic by a company in St Augustine, FL, Baxter Custom Engineering, http://www.bc-engr.com/

Funny that after all these years they still have a pic of my DP on their site as an example of an import down-tube. Anyway, my GN headers were done over 2.5yrs ago and they have not flaked. After a while, a slight oxidation will occur and I hit it LIGHTLY with the finest steel pad I can get. My EGT registers about 1600* at the end of the header so I would say it is holding up. Expensive but obviously worth it.

Hi Jeff,

I have one of Scottie's downpipes coated with the Jet Hot chrome finish and it's holding up great. No flaking or dulling. I don't have an EGT, but I know it's gotten hot on those summer days while driving in the curves. ;) .

My turbine is also coated, but with a black high temp coating. It too has held up well. I'm not sure it's really done anything for the thermal efficiency of my turbo, but it looks better than rusted metal.

i've used the swain tech coating as well. i have the "white lightning" on my header of my supercharged z and have had no problems for the 2 years it's been on there. i melted the silver jet hot on another header. swain is only about 3 miles from my office and i have personally known dan swain since 1989 when i worked as a formula car crew chief and they coated our; headers, valves and combustion chambers.

I have had my turbo(exhaust side)plus, exhaust manifold, and downpipe Jet-Hot 2000+ degree treated and it still looks just like the day I received them 3 years ago. For the higher temp treatment you have to send it to MS Jet-Hot.. Their other plants back when I looked into it didn't do the higher temp coating. The are guaranteed.

Donna