HybridZ

Full Length Chevy V8 headers?

Guest Anonymous

Do a search in the Chevy Forum. S&S headers makes a set that will fit. Research the forum though, as they were originally desinged to fit a 32 Ford (I think...) and S&S will supposedly make mods to fit your needs. I'll be going that route if I can't round up some 1 7/8 units..

Mike

Originally posted by LT1240Z:

Does anyone make them to work with the JTR type mounts, preferably with a 1/34 primary and 3" collectors?

If you do and they fit a standard trans, I want to hear about them too. I think there was a post stating the ones availible from S&S fit automatics.

JS

If they fit automatic trannies would they not be an even easier fit with manual tranny as they are not as wide and bulky?

zfan..Mike

"If they fit automatic trannies would they not be an even easier fit with manual tranny as they are not as wide and bulky?"

Depends on clutch slave/linkage clearances etc. required for the manual which would be closer to the firewall I would assume....I'd like to know more as well so my new exhaust will clear both my 700R4 and allow a T56 if I ever want to put one in later on.

JTR mounts, automatic transmission, 1 and 3/4 primary's and 3 inch collectors.

:D

Yes they work, but it's a royal P.I.T.A. to fit them in there.

Zdriv3.jpg

Click here if Freeservers is being lame

Driver's side looking down.

Zpass2.jpg

Passenger side close up.

ZpassGround.jpg

Ground Clearance

I have a few more pictures. Drop me an e-mail if you would like them.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

It looks tight, but having dealt with headers on several 4th gen F-bodies, it couldn't be that bad. I just dont want to choke my engine with small tube shorty style headers. Its either going to be Vortech blown or heavily sprayed, and the exahust side is going to need all the help it can get. Thanks for the replies!

Coincidence! I was looking through my new Motorsport Auto catalog last night and noticed they sell all the parts to swap a Chevy SB that positions it close to the firewall. This seems like the JTR method, except it might sit higher. They sell a set of long tube headers with 1-3/4" primaries as p/n 10-1832 at a cost of $289. I was going to install an LT1, and was searching for long tube headers also. I thought the S&S ones several people have mentioned might be the only ones available until I read about the motorsport auto headers last night. My opinion is that you will end up with very little ground clearance with S&S headers if your car is lowered significantly. I think Hooker makes a set of long tubes, but they only work with the engine in the scarab position. I am leaning towards an LS1 install now, so I will be blazing that trail with a few others from this board. You should call Motosport Auto and find out if they will work. Here is there website and phone number:

www.zcarparts.com

1-714-639-2620

Good Luck

Danny

Nope.

My JTR shown above (maybe :rolleyes: ) has the S&S full length headers. These are the same headers that MSA sells in their catalog. In fact, I ordered the headers through MSA and they came directly from S&S. Nothing like paying the middle man. fmad.gif

As for ground clearance, yeah it's low. However, my transmission pan is much lower and is more centered between the front and rear wheels. Since the header comes down almost next to the front wheel, it's never going to bottom out on anything (unless you high-side something). Also, I do not have the "frame spacers" that JTR recommends between the steering rack and frame rails.

If you can't see my pictures above, go here and scroll to the bottom:

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/NewMark3pics.html

-Andy

My 1971 240z scarab has full length hooker super comp headers They are a bit of a bugger to get to fit. Especially with that fat ol 700r4 in there too!! Had them coated as well as they are tight fit. use to have sanderson block huggers on it,never again!

zfan..Mike cheers.gif

Andrew, did you remove the spacer due to clearance problems? Or was it because of driveline angle issues? I'm looking at going with the S&S units, but need more info...

Does S&S have a website???

Mike bonk.gif

Mike,

I didn't put the spacers in for two basic reasons. One, the driveline angle was much closer without the spacers. Two, I never liked the way the car handled with the spacers.

To me, the Z would have a "floating nose" (ala mid 70's-ish Cadillac) feel with the frame spacers. Even with the front of the car lowered, the nose always felt like it was pointing skywards whenever I'd get into the gas. It's noticeably less without the spacers.

-Andy

Dewzenal,

Can you do me a favor and measure the width between your pipes at just in front of the collector?? I'm a bit concerned that my oil pan might not clear them. I don't think it will be an issue clearing the T56, because the ZF is bigger than the T56.

Mike :D