HybridZ

Smokey Says..............

ZROSSA

I just receive a copy of Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets. The 2nd to last paragraph in exhuasts says:

"Another effective way to decrease the presure in the exhuast system is to collect all eight of the primaries into one secondary pipe. This type of system will develope a negative in the secondary pipe every 90 crankshaft degrees, and produce a stronger overall pressure drop in the system."

Am i reading this right? Are we talking a 8 into one equal lenght system? What would the collecters be like?

BTW, smokey says that there is no benefit in running a flat plane crank.

Interesting reading so far.

Douglas

Interesting. Haven't read Smokey in ten years I bet. Sounds like he's saying you are better off running a single exhaust? That in itself is a subject worth pursuing. (4 into one + 4 into one with a Flowmaster y pipe kind of + 8 into 1, at least eventually!) I think the advantage to the flate plane crank is that it was stronger when they used twisted forgings. Now that non-twist forgings are common, that is gone.

You ever seen a V8 with 8 equal length primary tubes of reasonable length brought together into a common Collector? It's a bag of snakes that sit behind the engine and above teh tranny. Great if it's a mid engined car, etc. but not in a V8Z! I can't remember where I saw a picture of that, but it was very interesting and intimidating.

If you're willing to give up the passenger seat and build a dog house over that area its very easy to build an 8 into 1 header/exhaust system. TransAm cars have ben running this system for at least 10 years. The real trick on a Z will be routing the 5" diameter exhaust pipe out the back... :wink:

When I was pondering the idea of 180 degree headers I was planing to run them under the oilpan between the x-member and the hump on the pan. It looks like it will fit but I cant say that i have measured it. 8 into 1 could be done the same way. I heard one of these on a old f5000 car years ago. Wicked sound. Never heard any thing like it since. It seemed to have one collecter only. I never was close enough to it to see how it was done.

Douglas

What? No game hens? Buy the time I get this one finished I will be making my own pinot noir. We are planting 30 acres of grapes next spring. It doesnt leave a lot of time for playing with cars and unfortunatly ZROSSA is second in line behind the race car. Hopefully I will get a bit of time around X-mas to play with the toys.

Cheers cheers.gif

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

not another gone loco modification bonk.gif to dream about.No counting lambs at nite I will be counting 16 big tubes over and over again. ZZZZZZZZZ... 6-7-8.. ZZZZZZZZ... 3-4-5... where does it all go...$$$$$$$$$

• 1 month later...

8 into 2 into 1 works very well if the primary, secondary, and exhaust tubing sizes are correct. Most vehicles have space problems running a 3.5" or larger mandrel bent exhaust from the "Y" Grumpy posted above.

Again, TransAm, Grand Am AGT, and lots of Late Model circle track cars run a large single exhaust when given the chance.

Grumppy, Ross, Fellas,

Those collecters look like the would get you a similar responce as a tri-y header. I like the idea of a big single. The car already has block huggers into a y pipe and a 3.5 inch single made buy the previous owner. It needs to be done again. I dont want the car to have the normal v8 sound. I love the sound they make with an more equal fireing order. I would be happy to go to the extra effort as long as there is a power gain as well. I wonder if there will be a difference in power at the rpm I will be running (< 7000 rpm). I look at the local v8 race cars here and the road racing classes all run duels into a cross over and duels out. Even most of the local trans am run this.

Im I barking up the wrong tree here for a road car? This is not a daily driver but i would like to do the odd long trip in it. I have to redo the exhuast anyway so I really want to get as much power I can from it.

Douglas