HybridZ

how much hp are you running?

believe it or not it really isn't that hard to get as much as much as 400 hp out of a 350 with the stock bottom end and hyper. pistons. piont in case edelbrock performer rpm kit.the stock rods and crank should have no problems at that level as long as you put it together right and can drive it without putting your foot in it at every redlight(by the way this is very hard to do. TRUST ME).a set of descent heads with a gasket match can be had for about 350 bucks complete with guide plates, screw in studs,and 2.02/1.60 valves. as long as you don't spray the motor and set it up right it should last a pretty good time aswell.

I know. But with what I have in the engine, and with the budget I have, the hp is right in there. The heads will get replaced as will the camshaft--but right now I have a decent warmed-over motor that will do wonders for a Z. What I would like to do is build a hot 355, 377, or 383 with a Scat 9000 superlite crank, H-beam rods, and AFR heads. That would be a hoot.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Likewise not enough (now, only about 260-265hp or so, but torque up the butt), when it first went in it startled the hell out of me, now I'm used to it, give me more.. icon_biggrin.gif

Actually even with cast pistons provided you don't try and rpm the daylights out of it will (your garden variety 350) provide a easy 400 hp with just small chamber good flowing heads and a cam change. Obviously if you want it to live in horsepower land all the time hyper pistons would be better (although I'd still prefer forged, cheap insurance when you consider the work the piston must do, the extra is worth the money, just skimp on those do nothing billet valve covers!) Just an opinion of course.

Regards,

Lone

Well, right now the marker plate claims 170HP (stock '77 280Z) but the '94 LT1 sitting next to it claims to be 300-325 with dual exhaust and cold air intake. The weather has slowed things down a little icon_mad.gif , but all the parts should be here in the next few weeks to try the swap over. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Build-up still not complete...never ending love affair, (just ask Pete)! Looking to top off at an estimated 686 ponies, getting close; but still need the 671 blower to put it over the top. No low rumpty-rump here...more on the order of a poppity-pop! At this point gas milage...what gas milage! I need something big enough under the hood that will turn the 22.5 stickies on the rear. What started out as a day runner, somehow escalated into a "full-blown" Pro street vehicle. Built for Street'n Show, it definately will be a cause for conversation.

Comps,

Van

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Guest Anonymous

well lets see i dont have a chevy under the hood of this one but i still got the chevy on the motor stand and it might end up finding a doner body but i love rubing the fact in that my motor will rev over 8 grand and keep kicking all day long :1982 280zx motor over sized injectors long headers cold air intake small cam in a 1973 240..:

am i crazy???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

My engine dynoed 548 at the wheels in a 3000lb mustang without the NOS. It has a Fogger and a plate system, the power level of the nitrous depends on who's around, or who needs to get stomped flamedevil.gif . The mustang(my bro's) ran 145mph in the quarter with only the plate. But, like I said, power put to the pavement is on a need to know basis, and the local street racers don't need to know. My Z will weigh about 2000lbs, as it has a full 'glass nose and much removed weight. I suspect it will run very low 10's on a sticky tire without the bottle, but it will pack 2 blue ones in the hatch, and enough purple race gas to make wannabes stay home.

exspect yoru Z to weigh in arouns 2500 not 2000..

if you have a cage..

MY z is 2890 with a 6 point cage and no acesories and as much as I could do to lighten it .. and still keep all the glass and sheetmetal.

If Jamie does as he expects to, he may be closer to the 2000# mark. Going with Lexan and other little tricks will aid hmi significantly.

I think Pete DesktopDyno'ed mine in the 540-560 range. I am swapping into programable FI and larger headers, but I think we experimented with different sized headers in that above range. The motor supposedly Dyno'ed to 544HP/ 492ft# of torque at the shop I built it from.

Mike :cool: