HybridZ

does anyone make a damn fuel pump that works??

SHANE

well it looks like my 2 MSD pumps burned up :mad: oh and they had such a hard life pulling that fuel a whopping 6-8 inches uphill :rolleyes: . if a pump cant pull fuel uphill it should not be sold as a fuel pump!! i have a weld-in sump in the bottom of my tank, so there is NO WAY to put a pump below it. all i need is something that does what it supposed to, suck fuel in one side and spit it out the other. is that too damn hard? anyone have any sugestions?

To me, it sounds like a lot of work, but you might be able to mount a low pressure/high volume pump as low as possible to feed a surge tank that your high pressure pumps would feed from. Tehn you could actually have your pumps lower than the source....

I can't believe these pumps can't handle a bit of pulling uphill...How does the stock FI pump survive? It has to pull fuel uphill a bit as well - the pump is tucked up at the top of the rear fender, and the fuel tank sure seems to hang low. :confused:

I guess having to pull a vacuum to get fuel could burn up a pump quick, or maybe if you have to pull too much vacuum the pump cavitates and burns up for lack of cooling (assuming it is fuel cooled, some are-some aren't). For what it's worth, I always mount them at or below the top of the tank to avoid having to pull fuel. when the tank is filled to the level that the pump is at there is no load other than flow on the pump and when low on gas it's only a few inches to pull. letting a high press. pump pull uphill instead of push might affect it's fuel flow capacities too.

I've never had problems. I do usually use a self priming bosch pump though, the aftermarket stuff costs too much.

Try mounting it next to the tank next time and let us know if it makes a difference.

Perry

Don't buy Holley, MSD, paxton ... or any of those other ones with fancy pants anodizing on them. They are louder than hell, have poor suction characteristics, and aren't meant for continous use.

Get Pierberg, Walbro, or Bosh. They are quiet, reliable, and have more lift, and will outlast all other pumps by far, oh yeah and they are cheaper.

• 1 month later...