HybridZ

need help with z31 swap "speed sensor"

turbobluestreak

whats the deal with the speed sensor I know my 280zxt has one but it won't send the signal to the ecu is it because it's a auto or what? Or is it a different sensor in the back of the speedometer? I need to get this fixed so I can put in an a hks afr and upgrade the injectors on the z31 ecu for a bigger turbo and more boost.

tbs frown.gif

yah buddy it does need it and I found out from bernard that the speed sensor in the speedo is the same for the 280zx and 300zx so I'm going to go with it and just swap out for another one of mine. Also the speed sensor is used to clean the mas, run the ASCD, and make the z Lady talk if a door is open or parking break is on. I think thats all it's used for and that it is used in this set up with the AFR, if it wasn't I won't even screw with it.

tbs :eek:

If all you want is to control larger injectors you don't need either the z31 eccs or the speedsensor. Get a pot type Maxima or 240sx tps. They have the idle switch and the pot tps in one unit. I would rather get the www.perfectpower.com unit as it can control the timing and you can use it to control extra injectors as well. And you wouldn't need to change the tps. It uses the afm signal to change the pw. I think it's cheaper too.

my .02

Bernard

• 1 month later...
Guest De Schmaydee

not really sure what kinda signal its looking for.....i wouldnt think it would be very accurate insofar as showing your true speed or anything like that........the switch its self (on my 82zxt) only provides a closure (2x per revolution) that is used buy the cruise box for a comparison......and for the voice unit to show that you are moving..........i think its only for "the brake is on" and "the door is open".....i dont think its even used by the "ecu"....."stock"......not sure about that,but i know the car will run fine w/o it.....

...the best way to test it is:

use a continuity tester and hook to the yellow/white and the yellow/blue (or black depending on youre model) wires of the "white" plug (above the fuse block)....its too fast to read w/an ohm meter...best to put a + on one wire and a - on the other wire w/a light bulb in series w/that....(if that makes sense).......s