HybridZ

OK daily drivers - your best comfort mods...

strotter

Well I've about finished up the mechanicals of the Z - a '72 with a 327/T5 and GM f/i. I'm going to be using it as a daily driver and (maybe beginning this summer) some touring. Cross-country touring, maybe even *spirited* cross-country touring. That means I'll be burning a lot of hours in the driver's seat, so I'm starting to think about creature comforts. I've already got a pair of Recaro seats, which should both keep me in place and keep my old back from screaming at me. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions.

So here's my poll: For those of you with some hours behind the wheel of an older Z, what would you suggest as your most important "comfort" modification? Tinted windows, a/c, cruise control, nice audio system, sound deadening material, new steering wheel, particular tires, radar detector, etc etc? If I'm going to pack my bags in, say June, I've got 6 months to implement the best improvements.

Anxiously awaiting your suggestions.

dynomat extreme on the tranny tunnel, floors, hatch, inner doors, and firewall-does wonders for roadnoise. . i have tinted windows, bought the car like that, and want to have them tinted again, they did a horrible job on the hatch window. i like it, keeps the sun out. a radio is a must i think for those long trips, get one.

Seats. The stock ones are hard on the lower back.

I have Corbeau A4s with the lumbar option. Lots of money, but they are VERY comfortable, even on all day trips.

I put 2 layers of the double sided aluminum sound/heat barrier stuff that has 1/2" of jute between the foil on my firewall. One layer on the tunnel, floors, etc. Does a great job of keeping the heat and noise out. Cheap too!

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure it gets warm where you're at. An A/C system seems like it would be nice. A good quality muffler, and good door seals to keep sound down. Maybe adjustable shocks (but I don't have personal experience with them).

A leather wrapped steering wheel would be nice. Make sure the car seals up well, so that none of those fumes get in. Like replacing the seals around the rear lights, and tank eveporation lines.

Guest 240hybrid

audio systems are always nice for long hauls....The drone of a motor is great, but can get old over time. Wheather is an expensive system or just 4 speakers on a standard head unit, its alway enjoyable to have some tunes while you cruise around. Tony fruzza also has a good point, AC is a nice addition.

:-), being comfortable only makes you drive slower....

if it's 30 degrees outside, and you have no heater.... you can make very good time...

more seriously though, I would say:

Seats

cup holder

Good sound/heat insulation,

Nice smooth suspension...

and the biggest thing in my book... proper maintenance, unhappy noises and shakes from your car are possibly the most unpleasant thing that you can experience while driving...

Joe.

Everything mentioned above are all items that I'm sure you've already considered. How about giving yourself enough time to enjoy your tour. Allow for side trips, stops whenever you see something interesting and have a well thought out itinerary. Study and be somewhat familiar with the route you will be traveling. Leave your "flight plan" with someone, in the event something unforseen happends; will be able to advise or send assistance. And one last thought...take a cell phone, some water and a few choice eats. Enjoy your journey, take lots of PICS and make it the dream drive of your life.

Comps, VAN 2thumbs.gif

I made several comfort mods. I put in factory A/C with a Chevy compressor. Very nice addition though it wreaked temporary havoc on my cooling system until I got the bugs worked out. Also, I agree, the double sided aluminum padding to keep heat out and deaden noise. You can buy it by the roll. I put it in the engine compartment, on the inside of the firewall and under the carpet. While I have my car apart, I am also putting it or some other sound deadener on the inside of all of the metal panels. Oh, and you have to have a good stereo system, that's a given.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

What I did on mine, Is relocate the steering to be about 1.5" lower, it sure makes for a good angle now. I also modified my clutch pedal to be closer to me and the pedals now feel much more in line. I used to have to press the clutch all the way to shift before this mod. And definately a really good sound system. Makes drives so much more enjoyable. Not that im opposed to just the growl of the motor. ....enjoy the ride. badhobt

• 4 weeks later...

Don't go with the dynamat stuff. All it does is add weight to the panels to reduce vibration. From what I've read, it doesn't really do anything for road noise. There is a company called BeQuiet I think, that makes a product called Brown Bead. Really good stuff from what I understand. Helps quiet down the car extremely well.

Corbea A4 seats with the lumbar option ($800+ but well worth it on long drives)

A/C - very nice when its the typical 95/95 (deg F/humidity%) here near the nations capital.

I used the aluminum foil covered jute that is sold in 4 wide foot rolls: http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=7747&BQ=null

Although the stuff I bought had foil on both sides. This worked well for noise and heat. I used two layers on the firewall, one on the tunnel and floors. The floorboard sheetmetal near my exhaust was too hot to touch, but a layer of this stuff stops the heat transfer very well - cool inside.

Still no music - except for the gear drive, solid lifters, induction moan, and exhaust :D