HybridZ

Anyone see the new phantom grip in jegs?

Guest TreeCutter260z

Guest TreeCutter260z

It says it will fit the r200. I just got the mag today. it has a blue cover. its on page 200. says it will fit. part number 736 908 gold. anyone else see this?

matt

Terry the R200 in the s32 uses the same type carrier as the 240sx, in fact I think it is the same carrier.

It is the one I have been talking about puting in a old style R200.

Soon I might be helping a guy on this board put in a helical carrier out of a s15 into a R200 out of a 240sx. I will then measure it up and compare it to my VLSD and clutch lsd carriers. They will all fit in I think it just will be the halfshafts that will be diffrent.

Don

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but an old trick we Ford guys used to do for a poor man's LSD was add extra shims (actually, they were more like belview washers) between the spider gears, and their seats, thus squeezing the spider gears together tightly. This then gave it the charateristics of a loose LSD at a fraction of the cost. I never knew if this modification had any durability at all being I sold the car shortly after. The next time I purchased a Detroit Locker, and felll in love with it's "all business" charateristics.

Guest Anonymous
It may beat Quaife price, but if its going to cause premature gear wear, never perform like the real thing, I'm not interested. I did a couple days research and it looks like nothing more than false economy.

Ok, so what did you find out?

Premature gear wear, lame performance, and non-LSD characteristics in cornering despite advertisement.

Corner-carvers.com msg board, and an email list I'm on were my primary research areas, as well as some Google searching. There are several very experienced road racers on an email list I'm on and likewise, a welded rear or 'fake LSD' I was told to stay far away from.

For a one time investment, despite being a bit pricey, its worth it for ME, maybe not for everyone. The Quaife is also supposed to have much better bias for a road race app than the clutch pack units.

I installed a Phantom Grip about 6-8months ago???

No problems with the diff, but it's not a replacement for a LSD. Since it's a friction type Lsd I think it wears out... it doesn't hook-up the same way it used to when it was newly installed.

FYI I've heard that the Quaife goes open when one wheel is allowed to spin free (like if it leaves the ground or even when wet) and is the reason rally cars use clutch type LSDs. I'm not sure if that's even a bad thing, really.

I'm waiting/wanting a Nissan clutch-type diff. (Please Lord send one my way, or let me win the lottery) As far as price, aren't Quaifes around $600? If you can get a Nissan LSD for $750 that's where I'm gonna put my money.

My 2 cents bros.

Jon

Guest racerxlite

There is a guy in my club that didn't even get 1 auto-x season out of the Phantom Grip. Talking about 15-16 days of 60 second courses. I was thinking about it until I talked to him half way through the season & he could tell it was already going.

I just installed the Quaiffe 2 weeks ago due to info i have read about it & the advantages I've heard it has over the other LSD's available for the Z. Can't wait to try it out this year!

Matt

Guest Anonymous

I wonder how the quaife does in a dragracing situation? I run my 240 on the track and the street with an open diff. I only drive the car on dragslicks, and it actually hooks pretty well. Low 1.7 short times on the track, only a little slippage leaving hard on the street. Perhaps I ought not worry about a lsd under the circumstances, but I'd still like to hear any experiences anyone has dragracing a quaife?

racerxlite, let us know what your experiences are with the Torsen type differential. I know that in a straight line, my "open" carrier was very good in that it left two equal length tire marks nearly every time. In the corners though is where my focus is.

Guest racerxlite

Terry,

I'll let you know. I was going to go 1 more auto-x season w/ the open diff until Thunderhill raceway. By the seconnd day I was coming out of turn 14 to turn 15 smoking the inside tire. I fugured if I'm doing that on the racetrack, I'm getting slaughtered on the auto-x courses b/c I can't get out of the corners.

I spoke w/ a lot of people & was able to get info from the gentleman that helped Quaiffe design the LSD for the Z & decided to pony up the $.