HybridZ

My "other" car

dmanzo57

DSC00065.JPG

Going to Test & Tune at Sacramento Raceway tomorrow. Shooting for high 10's. :burnout:

It's been 3 years since I last ran the car. Best run was 10.71 at 125 MPH.

Wish me luck...

:cheers:

Don

PS: I'm picking up a roll bar for the V8Z from Alston tomorrow. :D

Thanks! It has 275 60 15 BFG drag radials on it now. Pretty much a 28 10.5 15, but that's it! At least with how low the car is. The subframe is at least 5" lower than my buddies 68 Firebird drag car that has new OEM springs in it. The wheels are 15 x 8.5 with 4 7/8 backspacing. And it is TIGHT. Rubs a little on the inside f you corner hard, so I guess I need to quit that! It has 4 leaf Z/28 springs that have been dearched in the back with 1 coil snipped off the front.

I'd really like to find a taller, skinnier tire for the front without resorting to drag tires or 165 SR 15 VeeDub tires! I like keeping an H speed rating... Right now it has 195 60 15 on 5.5 rim, but they are too short. I have to drive on 2x4 in order to get my floor jack under the crossmember. I'd really like a 185 70 15, but can't find anything like that. 185 65 is the closest, but virtually the same height as the 195. The narrower tire would fit the rim better me thinks.

Any recommendation?

I had a 69 Firebird 400, but I also want a 68. 67s are nice too, but the rear is a single leaf setup (can be changed), and the first year anything generally has some bugs to work out. The vent window can also be viewed as neat, or a problem (other than theft).

jasonsZRrear.JPG

Heres my 73 before I bought the 240. I have a 496BBC ready to go in but everything got sidelined with the 240. One of these days Ill get around to finishing it. The design should allow 10's on pumpgas and deep into the 9s on a giggle shot. We'll see. I've always loved Chevy muscle cars~!

RJ

Davy,

The car is a '72 with a 357 ci small block and a powerglide. The rear end is

a Ford 9" with 5.14:1 gears, a mini spool, and stock 28 spline axles. The

trans was done by TCI and has a trans brake and 8" converter, 5,000 RPM

stall. The car is all steel, but is pretty much stripped. It weighs 2950 lbs,

3125 lbs with me in it.

I made 4 passes today and the car did pretty well. I launched on the foot

brake for the first 2 passes and managed a 10.87 at 123.5 MPH with a 60'

time of 1.558. The next 2 passes, I used the trans brake and launched at

around 4,000 RPM. The car ran a best of 10.74 at 123.74 with a 60' time

of 1.472. :D My buddy said it lifted the front tires about 6". :D:D

The worst part about the day was that Alston was CLOSED. I wasn't able

to pick up my roll bar. :cry: I talked to them on Wednesday and they said

I could pick it up today. :evil: Oh well, I have a back-up plan.

Don

Mike,

Mickey Thompson makes some Pro Street type front tires that might work for

you? They look like they have alot more tread than a drag tire. I switched

from Beetle tires to drag tires in front, but my Nova is strickly for the track.

I run 9.00x30 slicks on 15x8 wheels in the rear. They rub a little if I turn onto

the return road too fast.

Your car has a nice stance.

Don

Guest livewire23

ah yes, that's what it is. A nova. Sweet. I don't know why I kept thinking malibu. :oops: Looks nice, and pretty light for a domestic. BTW don, I still owe y'a lunch. As soon as this Z gets registered...

Guest Your Car is Slow

My other car is a Streetbike 9.8@151 :)

Hopefully when im done with the Z...it will be able to keep up :D

I always did love the look of a tubbed out 1st Gen Fbody though!!

Thanks for the info on your car, Don! I love the looks of those cars, and a '72 is about perfect for me. I would like a Malibu or a Z28, but they are soo darn expensive, you just can't buy a good old Chevy anymore unless it is a Nova, but even they are getting pricey. I need a cool car that the whole family can ride in. Wait, wifey is pregant, maybe an Impala (yuk) or minivan is better :( *sigh*

I think your quarter mile times just rock for a relatively heavy car built by a down to earth guy like yourself. Actually it is a light car now that I think about it. Sometime when I go through Gilroy I'll email you. In fact, maybe I'll have this Z V8 done this summer I'll drive it down there to kill an afternoon--just an excuse to look at the Nova :D

Davy

Thanks Don. I'm pretty happy with the results, It's a big tire! I'm really interested in running radials on the car, so I may just have to make do with 195 65 15s. That's a little taller than the 195 60's I have now, but no narrower. I've done the bias tire thing and don't like the way the car wiggles, and I've done the MT front runner thing on 3.5" rims as well. Neither are solutions I care for on the street.

Your car sounds sweet. Darn good performance for a little motor! Must be spinning it 7500 or so?

I need a cool car that the whole family can ride in. Wait' date=' wifey is pregant, maybe an Impala (yuk)

Davy[/quote']

Impala (yuk) !! What's wrong with Impalas! Here are some pics of my '62 Impala convertible w/409 4 speed!

fc7469a9.jpg

fc7469a8.jpg

fc7469a6.jpg