HybridZ

A good rotor is a clean rotor....

auxilary

well, one would have to design custom intermediate (middle separating) housing, intake/exhaust runner ports, and a balanced extended eccentric shaft (crankshaft,if you will). Can't just weld two eccentric shafts together since the inside's riddle with oil baffles and passages. In fact, there are oil jets on the shaft used to deliver oil to the rotor.

I don't have much wankel knowledge just yet, but I'm picking things up quick - these things are so cool :)

Years ago I read a artical in a mag about a company on the U.K. that was making 3 and 4 rotor engines. They were based on the 12a. Interesting set up actually, he ran su carbs and was getting good power and not to bad fuel consumption as well. The mag was Fast fours and roteries. Probably about 7 years ago. I dont have them any more unfortunatly.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

Theres a shop here in Socal that has done the 4 rotor motor, I cant recall the name right now but I will try to find it again, its some mazda tunning shop.

Guest Rotary Racer

The hardest part about building a 4, 5, or what ever, rotor is the rotating weight/vibration and some one to make the eccentric shaft. But on the housing side, this is not a problem. You would need to use 2 of the 2nd intermediate housings from a 20b :) So for a 4 rotor it would go front housing, rotor housing, standard intermediate housing, rotor housing, 20b big intermediate housing, rotor housing, 2nd 20b big intermediate housing, rotor housing, rear side housing. Hehe now that would rock!!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Ok like I said a shop near me was trying to do the 4 rotor motor. I just talked to the guy(Jeff) and he said it is not done yet, but they plan on finishing up by the next Seven Stock meeting. Once its done they do plan on making more and selling them to the public.

• 1 month later...

As was mentioned before, a 4 rotor has already been done. The guy raced it on circle tracks for a couple of seasons then sold it adn lost touch with the new owner. He had all the parts fabbed and it worked well, but I don't know that it's really neccesary. It was competitive against v8s.