HybridZ

Need source for Lexan Windshield and rear hatch ...

Mikelly

Mike check out your latest Summit catalogue. There is a company in there that does all kinds of windshields and complete kits. Don't know if they do Z cars, but would be a place to start.

Tim

The front one won't be a problem either, Mike. Get the glass out, use some heavy paper or thin cardboard to make a template from the existing glass, lay it down on a sheet of lexan and whack away. Used to do 'em for circle track cars that way all the time.

John

I had a look into this a while back. It seems that a shape like the windscreen doesnt really need any preform to it. Slowly attach it and then put it in the sun and it should maintain that shape. Something like head light covers would need heat and a mold. If you were going to use the original rubbers then mabye attach the lexan to the original windscreen with racing tape or similar and then put it in the sun.

Douglas

Check with whatever sanctioning body(s) you intend to race that Lexan windshielded Z. In many cases the specified thickness of the Lexan makes it weigh very close to the stock windshield.

Regarding the rear hatch and glass - Hiten Patel (little.simba@cox.net)

If this is going to be for a street car you might not be able to use your wipers.

I use to own a 944 that cracked it's windshield. Mad expensive to replace so I looked into lexan. A company that made them said it was for race only. Yeah Yeah I have a bunch of parts on my car that are race only big deal. Well after talking to him he said that the lexan will scrach when you use your wipers. This is why race car drivers use rainx and antifog stuff. This is what he said just passing it along. Don't know how true it is. Just want to make sure you look into it before you buy. I ended up going with lexan quaters and hatch and kept the doors and windshield glass which worked out good for a street car.

Mike, the heaviest stuff I've ever used is 1/8", and preforming isn't a problem with it, just start at one side and work your way across, it will conform to the windshield frame with no problem. Where I was running, 1/8" was accepted, and it was a lot lighter than glass, but I don't know about any thicker stuff. Three supports down the center of the windshield were required and needed to support the lexan at speed.

John

The NASA AZ region specified 1/4" Lexan and the weight of that sheet and the required supports (single) equaled the weight of a stock glass windshield on the C5 Corvette I was helping build. That is an unusual specified thickness but I keep hearing rumors that SCCA is going to increase its minimum thickness for windshield Lexan. Whether these rumors ever come true is anyone's guess.

• 5 months later...
Guest 81na ZX
If this is going to be for a street car you might not be able to use your wipers.

I use to own a 944 that cracked it's windshield. Mad expensive to replace so I looked into lexan. A company that made them said it was for race only. Yeah Yeah I have a bunch of parts on my car that are race only big deal. Well after talking to him he said that the lexan will scrach when you use your wipers. This is why race car drivers use rainx and antifog stuff. This is what he said just passing it along. Don't know how true it is. Just want to make sure you look into it before you buy. I ended up going with lexan quaters and hatch and kept the doors and windshield glass which worked out good for a street car.

I was doing some searching about stuff like this' date=' so I thought I'd tack it onto an existing thread:

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/safer_at_any_speed.htm

About half way down...

You can use wipers on Lexan; just make sure that the windshield is wet before you turn them on. The material sheds water naturally, eliminating the need to use products like Rain-X for the most part. If you must use it on yours, use very small amounts, follow the instructions on the bottle exactly and do it on a cooler day (65-70 degrees) out of direct sunlight.