HybridZ

Procharged LS1 vs. RB26DETT

Guest GoaTSLonG

:roll:

I have a LS1 240Z, it runs 12.0 at 119 mph. It is faster that a viper. I makes only 346hp. Now for you question, you think you want 700 hp. You must think of the larger picture. At my speeds I need a full cage, and traction is a horrible struggle. At you HP the car would be a unusable. Engine reliablility would suck. Be careful what you wish for.

ps

im back!

I agree, if you want 700 HP I'd suggest you come from a 500 HP car first, going from barely over 300 HP to around 480 was HUGE difference and made my car scary. Takes awhile to get used to new found power especially on a road car, with 700 HP you have alot of engineering deficiencies to overcome as well.

Im not looking for insane HP (1300!) Im looking for 600-700 streetable HP (pump gas)

:lol::lol:

Sort of reminds me of a buddy of mine saying he wanted to start working out but didn't want to get as big as Arnold. It is nice to have goals but.....

600-700 HP is insane. 1300 HP is absolutely immortal. Also using the word "streetable" in the above sentence is highly questionable.

Guest zfan

Cyrus, Any mods to the LS1? That's hauling ass for a bone stock reliable ride. :shock: I should have gone that way myself. :idea:

Mike

He may have had it on an engine dyno.

As far as Arnold, while having competed at around 70 pounds lighter than todays heavy competitors, he was THE MAN. However I find it funny that anyone thinks they can get that big without a serious diet (todays pros eat every 1.5-3 hours, for me 6x a day is good 'nuf), and of course roids which have been illegal for casual use since I believe 1992, although of course people still do em which is why we still have pro bodybuilding.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. Told him about my maiden trip down the highway in my LS1 car. He wanted impressions and I said I pretty much scared the crap outta myself - and that was just in a little jaunt without even approaching WOT.

His response: "Wasn't that the whole point? Building a really fast car?"

Well, yeah. But that was just theory. In practice - well, let's just say it's gonna take me awhile to get used to this. This is totally stock BTW. And it's not even running well (closed loop issues).

We seem to have had a spate of posts from newbies lately talkin about how they want/need 500, 700 or even 1000hp! Madness!

As far as I recall, those famous videos of Darius's car are with a low compression stroked 383. I could be wrong, but I think he had problems with the blower and it wasn't even connected. It really does not take much power to light up a little 2500 pound car. And it really really doesn't take much to peel treads in 3rd or 4th gear when you're limited to 245 tires.

That said, I'm sure there will come a time when I get used to this monster and want more. But before I tamper with the motor I will DEFINITELY have a cage fender flares and at least 10 inch rims.

We seem to have had a spate of posts from newbies lately talkin about how they want/need 500, 700 or even 1000hp! Madness!

I question how many of these folks have felt that kind of horsepower, to think that they really WANT it in a car that weighs barely more than they do. Even in my heavy Camaro I was able to get the rear to step out, driving in a straight line, when shifting the gears hard. Going up into 3rd was OK so its not a huge deal, but in a little car with serious power there is going to be some driver skill needed and some FAT tires, or else it will just be wasted, useless power which is no more than bling bling. Add even "only" 200 HP to a car and it really changes things quickly, and you can get moving to dangerous speeds VERY quickly.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Eh...I need it :)

My 500lb motorcycle makes 250 rwhp

Its going to take quite a bit to scare me in a 2200lb car :D

Guest tt350

Hey! I dropped the 1000 hp idea (mainly cuz its too expensive) :D

Im still shooting for around 800, however. Defenitly with some huge meats on the back, and I think I have pretty good driver skills to take it around a track :-D Although the strongest car I have driven was around 500 hp, I think with a lot of practice, 800 shouldnt be too big of a deal.

Enough HP? Are you kidding? :D

Although the strongest car I have driven was around 500 hp, I think with a lot of practice, 800 shouldnt be too big of a deal.

Are you kidding? 800HP is not too big of a deal? :shock: :malebitchslap: :twak: (sorry had to bring you back into reality! LOL)

I am begining to wonder if my 400HP engine is going to be "too" much for my skill level at the moment. The closest I've ever came to driving a 400 HP car was when I drove a 2001 Camaro SS 100 yards into the shop at my school! LOL That car "only" has 325 HP and I could feel it all when I drove it those 100 yards. Every time I tapped the gas pedal my head shot back into the seat! Plus that car out weights my car by a good 500lbs+(right Mudge?). I know for me 400 HP will be more than enough for quite a while! :2thumbs:

Guy

Every time I tapped the gas pedal my head shot back into the seat! Plus that car out weights my car by a good 500lbs+(right Mudge?). I know for me 400 HP will be more than enough for quite a while!

Nothin beats having some down low torque on tap :D Those cars are around the 3400# range, a little lighter than the LT1 (by about 70 pounds roughly). Try pushing one up even a modest hill sometime, it sucks!

Im still shooting for around 800' date=' however. Defenitly with some huge meats on the back, and I think I have pretty good driver skills to take it around a track :-D Although the strongest car I have driven was around 500 hp, I think with a lot of practice, 800 shouldnt be too big of a deal.

[/quote']

Blown LT1 will get you there easily, but blown/turbo nearly any V8 has the potential if the fuel and internals are there.

Guest GoaTSLonG

alright i dropped the 700hp idea for now, im sort of leaning towards the RB26 with a built bottom end and twin t3/t4's, aftermarket engine management and all other nessecary upgrades, looking for the 400-500rwhp range, id like to run in the high 10's low 11's and be able to autocross it and drive it on the weekends around town. Do you think i can acheive these goals with that setup?

you wont need aftermarket turbos with an rb26 with that goal. My best 11.1 at 127 MPH on stock turbos and 15 psi booste. drives great around town. the only reason im not in the tens was axle breakage issues. I think i have that fixed now though ;>

Guest tt350

Personally, I think the RB26 rocks! It has an awesome sound, looks great under the hood, and its already built for turbos. BUUUUUUT... It expensive as hell. I mean your talkin about a 10 grand swap (minimum i think, correct me if im wrong Stony).

Weekend driver? How can you have a Z with an RB in it and not drive it every day? LOL. If I HAD to preserve my car in the garage, id have to put locks on it and give the keys to someone else, cause Ill be takin it for spins just for the heck of it!

Good luck on your project man, and since were both starting out, I think you can consider me your rival. hehe.

See ya at the track :D

In reference to my 12.0@119mph LS1 240z with 346hp.

350 to the wheels is over 400 at the crank...so its not stock :)

The engine is stock believe it or not. The exhaust is cast iron manifolds, with 2.5" pipes going to 2.25" C4 mufflers. Some one should check my math. The car is about 2400 +190 (me) and runs 119 mph. Do the cals off of the mph since traction is bad.

Lone Star 1's LS1 / 4L60E powered 240Z has dyno'd at 297 RWHP - that's with the stock ECM and stock exhaust manifold. A good set of headers and a "tweaked" ECM could get to the 346 RWHP that Cyrus has in his LS1 / T56 car.