HybridZ

SBC Twin turbo setup.....

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys.. never once posted in here.

I was always gonna do the L28ET setup in my Z's.. but i just got a free SBC motor..

so i might build a TT SBC for it... on a budget :).

http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

I'll prob run two GN turbos for the turbos...

im still looking around for parts for it, and any info if somebody has done this.

I dont know if ill kep it Carb'ed or go EFI... any ideas?

I do have a few questions...

What Cam should i get? is 220/220 ok?

what forged pistons.

what steel rods.

whats ur ideas about the carb or EFI setup?

i have a few others.. but thats fine for now.

thanks

Mike

I have been thinking real seriously of doing twin turbo sbc for my v8 car. The thing is, I want to play with turbos. My idea was to use comp cams baseline turbo cam and then run two turbos at 7psi which would yield around 450hp/450lb/ft. Lots of area under the torque curve, plenty to bust trannies and diffs. Then I would end up with a very nice idling, very streetable, stealth power car. The low boost should give a very durable engine, not requiring high dollar components. In this case hyper pistons and stock rods until I start bumping up boost. Of course I will be fab'ing my own headers, plumbing.

Just rambling thoughts......

Guest greimann

Twin turbo would be cool, but the low budget example of the 351 is an f...ing mess! PVC, wires and hoses laying all around. The guy is lucky he isn't dead from a catastrophic engine fire. Please don't follow that example.

That turbo build sure wasn't a budget type. Looks really good though. At this point I am interested in function and budget build. I'll just use the schedule 40 lp gas pipe for my header construction. Later on when and if I have more money to waste I may be able to buy stainless pipe like that guy. I think it is possible to do a budget EFI turbo sbc in the 450hp range. I think I can put together the entire engine, EFI, turbo setup for 3K. That is budget to me, may not be to the next guy. I also have a lot of parts laying around to save me some bucks.

I've considered this as well. You could take 2 1/2" 'vette ram horns and flip them upside down, fab a turbo inlet pipe that goes forward and hang the turbos off the front of the block to the side. This would make intake plumbing to a TPI pretty easy, but intercooling difficult. I have a pair of completely R&R TD04-16G turbos from a Mexican 2.5l dodge car. The compressor maps show them capable of 275 WHP in a 2.8 L6@6k rpm, so should be good for 550 hp in a 350ci V8. I'll sell the pair to you for $500 plus shipping. The turbos have been HTC coated as well. One is totally complete, the other missing the wastegate actuator. Email me for a pic. I've got a set of 300ZX TT intercoolers as well for another $100. They will support 450 whp and you could probably save some money by running the 2" straight dump rams horns. This would be a really trick setup on what would otherwise be a crappy 305. :D

Guest Anonymous

for a budget system you could even run on stock ECU and injectors on a low psi setting, around 5-6psi....... also you would not need intercoolers for that psi, anything higher and I would run intercooler(s). For simplicity and budget I would run a manifold that uses internal wastegates, this way you do not need extra flanges on manifold, expensive external wastegates, and usually cheaper turbos have internal wastegates(just about all oem turbos)

I would get myself two T-25's off various junkyard vechicles.....

then I would have them sent into a company and have them modified to what they call a "big 28". This will allow you to run more boost if you want to and reduce spool up time.

If you were on a budget just get regular T-25's..... internal wastegates, 5psi of boost, no intercoolers, and a Blow off Valve. Without an Intercooler(s) you also shorten up your turbo plumbing for better throttle response and simplify the turbo setup.

That was pretty much my plan, head to the junkyard and try to get two t3 turbos like the 280zx uses. I think most fords used the same A/R from what I have seen. Get a couple t3's, internal wastegate, low boost. Then when all of that is up and running you can always send in the t3's and upgrade to hybrid turbo if you crave more power. Start with bigger injectors and programmable EFI then all there is to upgrade is turbos, intercoolers, plumbing, wastegates

Oh it will happen, I will drive my own V8 240zTT. Like I say, my goal is in the 450hp and then after I get the car upgraded to handle that we will see. I could spend the next three to five years just to get to that point, but the knowledge gained will be worth the countless hours welding and fabbing.

I can't tell you how much I have learned in the last year and doing the L28ET swap only corrupted my mind. :twisted:

• 1 year later...

wow, this post made it back. I am still working my twin turbo V8 build. I have the multi port fuel injection manifold, throttle bodies, and misc parts setting in the garage. But the major thing I decided is that I can't start by putting the engine in a 240z(too much work at once and I would lose interest). So it is going elsewhere first. I am building my own turbo headers because I can't imagine many cases where pre-made headers would clear everything like I want and give me the turbo placement I want. Looking to fire the turbo V8 this summer in my 34 pontiac. Then who knows maybe I'll put a turbo big block in the pontiac and move the turbo sbc into the 240z. Since my projects are a mixture budget and opportunity they are always re-shaping.

I think a twin setup looks great, but you have to at least consider the possibility of a one big turbo for simplicity. A V8 should have plenty of torque, even at 8.5:1 compression ratio...add a big turbo for lots of horsepower fun!! :D

I have a cast iron turbo exhaust manifold from at least a few years back--I may use it despite it not being nearly as efficient as reverse-style headers. For ease of use and no fabbing required it wins hands down. The only dilemma I face is having the GN turbo I have with the three bolt flange (the manifold is a typical four bolt). Perhaps I can fab an adapter...

Davy

Hey, i posted about this a week or two ago. Anyway, Ive considered the bigger single route, but i dunno, all the really throttle responsive turbo v8s ive seen are all small t3 twin set ups. have u seen that video of the 700hp lingenfelter c5 on the road, it just taps the gas and boom, its haulin. A 366 or possible a 383 would be cool, but starting with a 400 small block, with all that exhaust and displacement to get those turbo's turning quick, a decent s/b 400 with forged insides, a .30 over piston some added chamber cc's to help knock a normal 9ish to 1 c/r down to 8 and a halfish from a good set of heads and if you do the smart thing and fuel inject it, run a mild cam and use a t56 or tko600 or some other overdrive tranny.. id say you get a damn responsive 6500 rpm 23mpg (depending on gearing) that should make just over 600rwhp. a 3.73 rear end... and your in tire smoking heaven. Wouldn't put it in a z though.. like i said, been planning something, a follow up to the z car when she'd done.. When I start my turbo build up I'll start a thread if anyone would like. LOTS OF PICTURES...

A V8 should have plenty of torque' date=' even at 8.5:1 compression ratio...add a big turbo for lots of horsepower fun!! :D

[/quote']

Or better yet, fuel injection, 9.5-10:1 static CR, T51R, standalone EMS, 1 BAR of intercooled boost and lots of tuning. Zero lag, a crazy topend and the option of turning boost down to 2-4 psi while retaining drivability with different maps.