HybridZ

Electric Vs. Engine Driven Fan

Taking the engine driven fan off looks like it would give you a whole lot of room behind the radiator. I think the engine would be a lot quieter without the fan noise while running (with noise from occasional electric fan use.) Would there be any difference in cooling if I put in an electric fan? Where does the thermostat go? Can you tap into the water temp. sensor?

Any comments either way?

A mechanical with a shroud can move more air than an electric. As such it has better cooling potential.

However the right electric fan is more than up to the task. The 2 speed Tarus fans seem to be the fan of choice.

Pep boys sells thermostatic control switches that wedge into the radiator fins.

What ever you do connect the fan with relays and heavy wiring. Some fans draw upwards of 35 amps on high speed. This means you will probably want a 90 amp or better alternator.

If your current set up does not have any cooling problems, then I would be hesitant to mess with it.

Electric fans are either 2 speed, or they run full blast all the time. So for a daily driver, cooling could be kept steadier, and producing less drag on the drivetrain give you a little bit of HP. I like electric fans myself.

producing less drag on the drivetrain give you a little bit of HP.

For some reason I can't let this argument go. For the same amount of cooling, electric fans put the same drag on the engine and take just as much HP. If you want to move a certain volume of air, then it takes a certain amount of HP to do that. The alternator runs off the same pully system as a mechanical fan so all of that energy comes from the engine.

Where electric fans help is they can be turned off when not needed.

Also keep in mind that 35 amps at 12 volts is only a little over a half HP. Thus electric fans can't be made to move as much air as a mechanical fan, they don't have as big of a drive motor. But, like I said, if your set up only needs as much air flow as an electric can provide, then that is all you need. Electric or mechanical, if you are moving more air than you need, you will be wasting HP. Personally when it comes to cooling I would rather have too much than too little.

Oh boy, are we going to have that electric vs. mechanical fan debate again? Spoke with the neighbor last night who told me he turns off the electric fan on his circle track car for the last two laps for that extra bit of power.

I'm with Jim. If what you got works now don't mess with it.

Somebody here has a great line in his sig, "With every modification there is an equal and opposite malfunction"

producing less drag on the drivetrain give you a little bit of HP.

For some reason I can't let this argument go. For the same amount of cooling' date=' electric fans put the same drag on the engine and take just as much HP. If you want to move a certain volume of air, then it takes a certain amount of HP to do that. The alternator runs off the same pully system as a mechanical fan so all of that energy comes from the engine.

Where electric fans help is they can be turned off when not needed.

Also keep in mind that 35 amps at 12 volts is only a little over a half HP. Thus electric fans can't be made to move as much air as a mechanical fan, they don't have as big of a drive motor. But, like I said, if your set up only needs as much air flow as an electric can provide, then that is all you need. Electric or mechanical, if you are moving more air than you need, you will be wasting HP. Personally when it comes to cooling I would rather have too much than too little.[/quote']

I'll take you up on that too... For highway driving AND track driving, at least with the temperature below 80, I turn my fan off. That is definitely LESS drag than a mechanical fan.

I ONLY run my electric fan at speeds BELOW 30 mph.

Speeds over this there is enough air flow thru the radiator to cool the car.

Even at track events, the fan is only on when leaving padock area and I cut it on entering the pit area. It does not run while on track.

Even on the hottest days at the track, this works great.

Jim, you dont get somethin' for nothin', thats true. Yet another reason todays cars have freakish alternators pumping out 140A+. I'm staying electric myself, better cooling in traffic (for those picky or who really need it due to HP or ducting issues), turn it off or on whenever I want (either by switch, or by computer which I set and forget), yada yada. Its a personal preference thing I guess, but like carbs I think they are a thing of the past, for my own project type vehicles.

Good info both ways so far. I don't have an opinion either way.

Right now I don't have any cooling problems. However, I do have the condenser still mounted in front of the radiator. Would it be a good thing to remove tyhe condenser? Would the radiater be (more efficient?)

My point for changing the fan is to change the sound under the hood. Right now, with the hood open, all I hear is the fan drawing air. You hear it a little less, of course, with the hood down. I thought there might be a way to make it even quieter.

What about a different fan blades? Maybe those hug plastic things are making all the noise?

All fans are going to be noisy, but by design db can be cut down a bit, I think thats mostly going to be blades and shrouding though. With no underhood insulation on the Z car that probably has some minute effect too, 1-2db?

Personally I like the E-fan(s). My fan clutch wasn't keeping up with my motor after I went turbo. So the fan would even come on awhile I'm cruising down the interstate. I already had a big alternator so I didn't mind loosin some amps. (125amp big enough :D )

What I hate is the freaking helicopter noise as the clutch fan locked up to do its job, and I was going thru the gears. I don't believe an electric uses that much juice to draw down an alternator like a fully engaged clutch fan. Thats just my opionion.

I like the electric, and it gets the job done for me, and best of all, I don't have to listen to that dang noise.

Also if you have ever had a clutch fan lock up on you then you would know it draws way more then 1 hp. And the noise, its awful.

:roll:

I had to go to an electric fan so I could install my intercooler piping. The clutch fan will cool better, but the right electric fan will be adequate. I personally am going to use a Derale dual 12" setup.

The only thing I have issue with is how do you know if your fan has failed? By the time you realize the fan is broke or the fuse has blown your temp guage will be pegged. A mechanical fan is much more worry free in my opinion.

Just my .02C

By the way.....Does anyone have a picture of this infamous 2-speed Taurus fan?

Thanks,

I had to go to an electric fan so I could install my intercooler piping. The clutch fan will cool better' date=' but the right electric fan will be adequate. I personally am going to use a Derale dual 12" setup.

The only thing I have issue with is how do you know if your fan has failed? By the time you realize the fan is broke or the fuse has blown your temp guage will be pegged. A mechanical fan is much more worry free in my opinion.

Just my .02C

By the way.....Does anyone have a picture of this infamous 2-speed Taurus fan?

Thanks,[/quote']

Lol, I don't know about you, but I am constantly staring at my gauges. Without a fan, in slow traffic, the temperature will creep up from 180, and hover into the 200 degree range. It happens slowly enough that I should be able to catch a broken fan.

Looking in the rear view mirror with my head back is something I find myself doing more and more these days. Is it just in my area?

As for the electric fan, I got one from therma kool, or something of that sort and it went out quick. Since going to the taurus fan, even as a pusher, I haven't had any problems with cooling my slightly rich/slightly lean SU's(all depending upon the air temp of the day), when I actually get to drive it.

Will the body work ever end!