HybridZ

Twinturbo is running

Ran the car around the block for about 15 minutes today and all seems well. Ran the car up to 15psi for a short burst and seems to come on fairly quick. I did notice it was running much leaner and the program was from my old setup. That is good because it tells me the new setup is moving more air than before. I will not be able to run it in Gainesville because I have no time for tuning. My wife and I celebrate our 3yr anniversary tomorrow and my buddy with the dyno leaves Wednesday morning for a boat race in Mexico. DOH, no wideband to tune with until he returns. Well, I will drive the car to the race on Sunday if anyone wants to come down and hang out. I will do some datalogging on Wednesday to verify the spoolup is actually a bit quicker with this setup. YEEHAW!

Guest JAMIE T

Glad to hear it's together. I know you're stoked! Be glad you have a freind with a dyno. My buddies shop with the dyno is shutting it's doors in Sept. I'll have to go about 70 miles to get to nearest dyno, plus have to pay! As you probably know, free dyno time is awesome. After business hours we dyno any and everything, from Bicycles to 4 wheelers, all of our cars, the '02 Chevy 2500 with it's 8.1L, any thing just for the fun of it. I tuned the shop owners '93 Sentra SE-R(SR20) for about 2 hours a few weeks ago. It has a F-Max turbo system, AFPR, big injectors, 300zxTT fuel pump, and a JWT ECU/ Cobra MAF. It made 284 whp at 17psi before I built the 3" mandrel bent stainless exhuast, with a Magna flow stainless straight through muffler. It made 265 whp at 12psi after the exhaust was built. It just slips the clutch at anything higher now.

Well, it says $20 for crew/spectator, but I don't know if that will allow us to park in the pits. Racer/car is $60 for the 2days whether you run just Sunday only. Car show is $45 if we can enter that way. I will play it by ear when I arrive.

No new vids right now, but I could make one. Did some full boost tuning with the wideband today, but had problems with dropping fuel pressure under boost. The prefilters where partially clogged and after cleaning them I jacked the boost to 18psi. I will dial it in tomorrow with the wideband and be done with it for a while. I can take some vids next week and post them if you like. Perhaps a vid from a buddies car of my car getting on it? :?:

Guest tt350

Wait. Where is this video of you and Scottie racing, I definetly wanna see that one. I read the whole Post about it (you know, where 240Turbo was Challengin Scotti)...

Please I need a link or site where I can get it.

Thanks. BTW, Congrats 240zTurbo.

We all know Scotties car has run much faster, but it was the race that counted! I actually won twice...once because he red-lighted and again because I ran 11.265 to his 11.289. I have to be fair and mention he has run 10.31@131. DOH!

Guest tt350

WOW! Thats pretty dam fast Scottie. Wait till im done with mine. Talkin low 9's on street tires. Well maybe not anytime soon, but eventually.

Anyone congrats to ya both for having very fast cars that you can actually DRIVE. I dont really know what Scotties got on his car, and I really want to learn more about the GN, so if scottie has a site, can someone link it please.

Guest tt350

DUDE, That engine is SHORT! and small. goddam thats a nice fit into the Z.

I like it. How much HP is possilbe out of the GN Turbo engine.

Does it have a big aftermarket?

How much displacement?

Can it eat an RB26 :D ?

Guest JAMIE T

The GN has a nice aftermarket. Many parts are available Infact, GM has hard core race blocks, heads, cranks, etc...

Can it eat an RB26 ?

Ya'know I'm surprised you haven't learned more from this site. There are 1200HP RB26's and 1200HP GN 3.8's. It's all a matter of budget. Either will cost alot. The GN has the added bonus of having parts available from any US Retailer. The RB26 will require you to source even the simplest things like a waterpump from UK.

Guest tt350

That last question was kind of a joke. Just teasing Scottie.

Anyway, thanks for that info. Im kinda surprised though at what you mentioned. The GN is 3.8l and the RB is 2.6. Now, Why cant the GN make more power more easily than the RB? Is it mainly the block withstanding the pressure? I guess thats it.

I think both engines are cool (they sound EXACTLY the same, at least on video).

Im gonna research this GN, maybe it turns out it will be better than a SBC TT for my application.

That last question was kind of a joke. Just teasing Scottie.

Anyway' date=' thanks for that info. Im kinda surprised though at what you mentioned. The GN is 3.8l and the RB is 2.6. Now, Why cant the GN make more power more easily than the RB? Is it mainly the block withstanding the pressure? I guess thats it.

I think both engines are cool (they sound EXACTLY the same, at least on video).

Im gonna research this GN, maybe it turns out it will be better than a SBC TT for my application.[/quote']

If you are thinking of road racing, the GN may not be the best choice unless you don't mind an auto tranny. It is a low-end grunt motor and will likely want lower gears in the rear end - unless you can source the highly sought 3.36 R200.