HybridZ

N/A Intake Manifold

I noticed in browsing through a bunch of pics of L-series Turbo swaps that a lot of people end up using the N/A fuel injection intake manifolds, do they hold any advantages over the turbo intakes (besides the pop-off valve not having to be removed)?

Mostly because the EGR is missing too. Some people think the non-webbed N42 is more prone to heatsoaking, but I don't :D As a matter of fact I think it may be less prone to getting hot from the exhaust, provided the heatshields are in place, as there is less surface area exposed to absorb heat.

Well how 'bout this...I have a couple EGR-equipped intake manifolds that came with N47 heads, they wouldn't have any advantage from what I gather? I could block off EGR in either case and plug the popoff valve without much trouble, but are the runners the same diameter and both will flow the same?

Thanks

I had the EGR part cut off my turbo manifold and welded up. It is nice not to have that hanging off the back of the manifold. For the pop off valve, I got a plug from Nissan that goes into the 300Zx intake manifold for the NA model, and it is a direct fit. Looks better and won't rust like the stuff you get at a hardware store.

I have a non-webbed early model intake and plan to run it eventually. It just looks cleaner to me. Plus I think you could do stuff with it like jet coat it or wrap the runners with header wrap to keep them cool. Plus it would also probably make seeing the bolts you are trying to loosen a little easier.

Got to work out the cold start control though.

I use the early 280Z non-egr manifold. I mainly use it because its alot cleaner looking, But ALSO, because rumor has it that the runners are 10% longer. helping to add to the low end TQ. (thats just my understanding! dont flame me because i might be wrong. educate me!)

• 3 weeks later...

Sparky, I am not sure if your info is true or not. That StealthZ guy has created some myth about one of the intake manifolds having a larger diameter runner, and then later came back and said the one he measured had been tweeked by someone.

Now I am no genious, but I think I can look at a runner and tell if it has been ground on, versus a stock one. Makes me wonder how much he really knows.

I bought a hone that I am going to use to hone my non-webbed intake manifolds runners out, so I am at least hoping to get rid of all the casting flash. I will probably use it on my head to, when the build engine and make it a 3 liter.

I was also thinking about using some of those coatings like that flow coat stuff to try and improve airflow.

That StealthZ guy has created some myth about one of the intake manifolds having a larger diameter runner, and then later came back and said the one he measured had been tweeked by someone.

Well, his car ran crap for 1/4 mile times, but yet claimed 400+hp@wheels. It didn't jive then and it don't jive now. He won't post because everytime he made some claim I called him on it and he got pissy like a school girl and ran home to mommy. I won't say whether it is larger or not, I don't know. I do know this, I am building about 9 intake manifolds and will be selling them for $600. They will be the 280zx manifolds cut 1.5" off the flange and decked in the mill. The ports will be bored on a mill to 1.375" to match the gasket. We will then weld 1.375"ID tubing to the flange and on the other end the plenum. If you use other than the stock nissan TB boltpattern you can send me your TB and I will make the TB flange as necessary. Anyway, John Talyor is supplying me with the manifolds and he will get the 1st one. It will look like the manifold below, but with a square plenum.

intaketop.jpg

intakebot.jpg

Same method of cutting the flange as I did on my setup. Using the 16G tubing on the runner makes this intake very light.

newintake2.jpg

So when it the deadline?

How much shorter are the runners then a regular manifold?

Yeah that Stealth guy is something else. I remember I talked to him once, and told him what kind of boost I was running, and he about stroked out. I guess he thinks 18 psi is a lot of boost huh?

Blah Blah, if I worked somewhere with a dyno, I can tell you this, if I said I made 400hp, I would make it, and my car would run like it had it.

Well, his car ran crap for 1/4 mile times, but yet claimed 400+hp@wheels. It didn't jive then and it don't jive now. He won't post because everytime he made some claim I called him on it and he got pissy like a school girl and ran home to mommy.

Yeah that Stealth guy is something else. I remember I talked to him once, and told him what kind of boost I was running, and he about stroked out. I guess he thinks 18 psi is a lot of boost huh?

hmmmm,

Ya know,

Im not normaly one to bash people, or even give my true opinions on some, but im going to have to agree with what yall are saying.

I met him last year, and must say I was looking forward to it, until i actually did. hes on a mis-guided ego trip, and doesnt seem to like talking about any other way to do things besides "his way" aka "this is how i did it and thats the only right way."

anywho, I was a bit upsetting, since i wanted to talk to a "turbo guru" about my new setup( and being very new into the turbo EFI thing, i was hoping it would be informative) but it turns out that later on I met some much nicer, much more informed turbo Z guys, and we exchanged ideas and what not.

but anyway, thats the rumor I was going by (as far as 10% larger etc etc) was the one from his site. but it seems that its just a rumor and nothing more.

James:

Those manifolds look sweet. when are you going to start a run?

James, those manifolds are nice. I notice on the stocker manifold the runners come out of the plenum at different angles and varying lengths as well. Is that supposed to balance the flow for even mixtures in the cylinder? Will equal lengths and straight angles on the custom result in a more uneven mixture as a result of the flow from the throttle body coming in at a right angle? I remember an early manifold you made (I think Shane bought it from you) with the throttle body offset to the plenum to address that issue. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are now - it all seemed and still seems speculative, and I have no idea of the merit of any of it.....

Sounds like we are going to reach a consensus on the StealthZ guy.

I found out a long time ago that just because someone does it one way, doesn't mean that is the right way. If everyone did that, we would never have new inventions.

If you read his stuff, he puts a lot of crap in there like "estimated HP" etc. I mean you have it on a dyno, why estimate?

If you don't want to be bugged by people, don't write stories and put them on the internet. Bottom line. Plus if you have a fast car, people with slow one's are going to ask you about them. I am guilty of that when I see someone out and about that has a fast car, I want to ask them about it.

Except James. J/K :lol:

I am sure there will be more supply than demand on these manifolds. No money necessary until the manifold is complete and I post a pic of it. You can see what you get before you get it. Even my current manifold does not have equal length runners as seen below with 1&6 being the shortest.

newintake1.jpg

It may/maynot be that critical as the car seems to make good power and there are no noticable differences in the spark plug color from one plug to the next. The idea is only to create a manifold with larger runners, 1.375" ID and a larger plenum. I can get fancy and add 6x full radius velocity stacks, but that will add $250 to your bill. I have to buy the mandrel bent aluminum tubing and 6x velocity stacks. I don't know how critical aiming the TB toward the #3 port is, but I would think if the plenum volume is large enough then it starts to become less of an issue. I will put a slight angle on the TB as I did on my 1st intake. Here is a pic. Anyway, I expect to have a few pumped out week after next.

newsetup1.jpg