HybridZ

exhaust pics and suggestions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi all

i just went to a muffler shop and he tells me there is no way he can do dual 2 1/2" into a single 3". can someone prove him wrong? or is he right? who has pics or info to prove this?

Dude, you live in Stockton. Your 40 minute away from the best custom Z muffler man in the biz. Call Bob at Rio Vista muffler and tell him what you want. 707-374-2484

You will be very happy and the price is right. Tell him your a HybridZ member and get a discount. He hosts the annual NorCal HybridZ Show & Swap.

Guest Anonymous

Yea... Rio Vista is known for doing the exhaust work for several of the cars in the bay area. I'd sure like to hear the price they quote. I went to the meet mentioned above and did discuss having them doing some things on my cars...

I heard a quick price of $550 to 600.... sounded a little high to me. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hooker makes a muffler with dual 2 1/2 inlets and a single 3" outlet. I can't find the part number right now but it was part of their Aerochamber line. It looks like it would fit in the stock location, but allow 2 1/2 inch pipe all the way back.

BTW, what do "moroso spiralflows " do? Are they a type of resonator? What is the advantage?

Guest Anonymous

i got my exhaust done, unfortunately it has a bottleneck...dual 2.5"-3"-2.5"-3"muffler (dynomax race bullet). he said he couldn't bend the 3". i guess i'll go find someone who can later on. i couldn't let the deal go, it was $120 piping/labor. the sound is lovely, not too loud, and not too quiet. my concern is that the car hesitates a lil when you first gas it. help?

I am assuming a Holley carb? First check clearance on your accelerator pump arm. Need to enrichen accelerator pump shot. If you have a Holley, start by moving the stock cam to #2 position. This speeds up the initial shot. If that doesn't work, go up 2 accelerator pump nozzle (shooter) sizes. If that doesn't work, get a pump cam assortment and try more. That bog is too much air without enough corresponding fuel, basically motor goes lean before the primary circuit starts flowing.

For your exhaust, mail order some 3" mandrel bends and have your exhaust guy replace his compression bends with the mandrel bends.

• 2 weeks later...
my concern is that the car hesitates a lil when you first gas it. help?

hesitation could also be your timing at idle......I've found my setups have required 14/15 degrees static at idle minimum.....but make sure you're not exceeding reasonably total timing......I fiddled lots with springs/weights/tweaks to get near what I wanted and finally went EFI to nail a truly desirably timing curve....but my hesitation's have been slightly fuel and mostly timing in my past (with sbc's).

and guys giving you great advice as usual.......if a mechanic/shop isn't on board/in favour/ of doing mods/tuning the right way it's not worth convincing them.......they'll never stand behind a product you convince them of that they're not on board with. Can take time to find the good guys but well worth it.

My cars in right now for my long awaited dream exhaust (to me anyhow!), new rad, new tranny cooler and numerous other tweaks as I haven't had time to work on my car in months. The new exhaust/headers I've wanted for a number of years actually. (Hooker 2100 coated, dual 2.5's with largest mufflers that'll fit in tranny tunnel, then an artful 2.5-> 3 Y custom made transition to largest muffler that'll fit in the rear......all stainless and mufflers most likely to be dynaflow, quiet (better be!, very important to me) and fine flowing.

FWIW, this will be my 3rd V8 exhaust........both prior's were quite poor from years back when I got snookered, this one is to be my final, fingers crossed it meets all needs (seals great and quiet! flow should be easily accomplished).