HybridZ

What to do to get to the 12's?

This is curently my best 1/4 mile ever in my truck.

ET 1/4: 13.74

R/T---: 0.916 (LOL)

Speed-: 100.8

60 ft-: 1.908

330 ft: 3.618

1/8 mi: 8.751

Here is what I have done to the truck. (what wont fit in my sig)

Garett T3 turbo W/ internal wastegate

225lph fuel pump

Z31 ZXT lower intake manifold

Z31 ZXT injectors (380-400cc?)

JWT ECM W/ Low & high boost modes

65mm Cobra MAF

Turbo XS 2-stage boost controler (5 & 10 PSI)

HUEG Ford power stroke FMIC

SLP panhard bar

Over the leaf traction bars

I also run 245-45-17 Nitto 555R drag radials at the track only because I dont want to hurt my 275/40-17 bridgestone S02's

I'll be getting to a dyno this summer. switching fro 5psi to 10psi is like night & day. how much faster could 12-15psi be? what would that do to the ECM? since it is programed to run at either 5 OR 10 psi? and finaly could running such a huge intercooler hurt horsepower? the I/C has 3.5" inlet/outlets that I had resized to 3" whitch is still prety big, the outlet on the turbo is only a hair over 2" would a smaller FMIC help?

Thanks for any input,

Tom D

You'll probably need some bigger injectors than stock Z31s. Those are only rated at 260cc, same as the 280ZXT units. You should be OK with that intercooler too, but you should consider a much larger turbo -- that 3.0L V6 is being choked with a T3. I would think a stage 3 turbine (T3) coupled with a larger TO4B or TO4E compressor would be appropriate, and fit to your intercooler better as well. Just run a transition to 3" to the inlet, and run the 3" out to your throttle body.

You'll have to get JWT to up your boost and reprogram for larger injectors. Strange the ECU controls boost - you can't adjust that yourself?

Yes you need a larger turbo, and I would go with an E series rather then a B, provided the E will fit. Stage 3 or 5 turbine wheel and probably a 60 trim T04e or a 60-1.

Does the ECU control boost? I would bet not, which means you could raise it a little, but getting over about 12 to 13 psi is probably pushing the limits. You can go to the 420cc injector, which would help.

Also run a nice 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust with a straight thru muffler. I have found this mod to be the biggest bang for the buck on my turbo cars. I dropped almost 9 tenths of a second over my crappy exhaust, which put me down into the 12's. I ran 12.9xx at about 110 mph on regular street tires and pump gas with my old set-up, and you can see my sig for my latest pump gas times, although I was on DR's this time. My 60foot time sucked, but was under 2 seconds.

JWT can upgrade the ecu most likely thru a chip revision, which is really simple to do. Pop the cover, pull out the old chip, put in the new one, put the cover back on and you are set. Of course you should remove the ecu from the vehicle.

Good luck.

eek! a larger turbo, realy? damn! I know peopple with turbo Z31's have pushed the stock T3 to 15psi with goo results I was kind of hoping I could do about the same. My only fear is that I'm running my trucks stock VG30E block & bottom end (VG30E-T's use thicker castings) . and I don't know if it could take it, but I would be more than happy to try if I thought I could dip into thw 12's.

SleeperZ: I use a 2 stage TurboXS boost controler to controll boost. JWT has programed the ECM with 2 totaly seperate fuel & spark maps. Map "A" is a very mild program for normal driving and expects to run at 5psi. Map "B" throws fuel economy & streetability (i think i made a new word) out the window and expects to see 10psi. I have both tied into the same toggle switch on the dash so both switch from 5psi/map A to 10psi/Map B at the same time. The ECM can adjust the fuel & spark at any time based on feedback from the O2 sensors, knock sensor and MAF signal. but thee ECM dosen't know how much boost there is. so if I do go up to 12psi I would need to up fuel pressure use a Apexi AFC or HKS AFR to get more Fule in the engine because the ECM would no longer do the job.

Also I i'm not 100% sure what size the injectors are. they arent stock I got them from JWT as used take off's. someone must have gone even bigger. I belive they are 380cc they could be more or less I do know the ECM is programed to run them properly. if it helps they are orange top feed units W/ grey sockets

Lockjaw: I have a 3" mandrel bent exhaust, however I'm not happy with the way ir humps over my rear axle. I was thinking of cuting it off before the axle and makeing a side out exhaust. Also you say 12-13psi would be pushing the limits. the limits of what? the turbo or injectors?

is instaling a T04x compressor a D-I-Y job or is it a spend a few $K job?

I think I'm going to satrt upingthe boost 1psi at a time every few hours and watch the AFR & EGT gauges. and if t seems to be acting OK ill make a few passes at the track this weekend. if it's not raining.

Well the limit I was referring to is the injector, since we aren't sure what size it is. A call to JWT should solve that though. You can run 15 psi, that should not be a problem, as long as you are fueling it right.

You should not have to reprogram anything to run more boost, the ecu will get the signal from the MAF and make the appropriate changes needed.

Most likely what you have with the two maps is one with more agressive timing and a slightly richer WOT fuel mix. It is the good gas mode, where as the other one is likely able to run off cheap gas.

I only have one map in mine, but it is fairly agressive as far as timing goes. Clark set it up for me after several revisions to get me to where I got the car running the way I wanted. It is very responsive off boost, and it hauls the mail on.

You would need to send your turbo off to have it upgraded if you want bigger wheels, and expect it to cost 600 to 700 bucks. Get a 360 degree thrust bearing when you do it.

You probably really need to get an EGT and install it to tell where you are mixture wise under WOT. You don't want to get over 1600 degree's F or 900 celcius. That will let you know when you are running out of fuel and need larger injectors. You could also have the ecu remapped to work with higher fuel pressure, which is like giving you a larger injector.

I am running a 4 bar map (56 psi) with the 420cc injector that gives me the equivalent of a 550 cc injector. So that could give you some extra fuel.

eek! a larger turbo' date=' realy? damn! I know peopple with turbo Z31's have pushed the stock T3 to 15psi with goo results I was kind of hoping I could do about the same. My only fear is that I'm running my trucks stock VG30E block & bottom end (VG30E-T's use thicker castings) . and I don't know if it could take it, but I would be more than happy to try if I thought I could dip into thw 12's.

.[/quote']

Go to turbonetics web sit and look at some of the compressor maps. You will have a better under standing of PSI, flow and effeciency. Stock compressor is a 60 trim. The more effecient, the cooler the air and the more power. I also have a Toyota 4x4 pick up with a 3.0 V6 and run 12 psi daily (GN turbo). Your bottom end will easily take much more, the weak link is your pistons. DON'T let it detonate and you'll be fine with more boost.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Hit it with a 75shot and race fuel, you'll be OK. What kind of compression does your engine have? How thick is the intercooler (core).

1FASTKINGCAB have you ever seen the SR20 motor in the Nissan truck? I have a 96 Nissan PU and I would like to put the sr20 motor in.

Mike

Yes I have basicly it is the same swap as the 240SX guys do If you have the KA24E (2.4L SOHC) in your truck. I decided to turbo the V6 because the VG30E, 5-speed, 2WD KingCab model if fairly rare. Most 2WD 5-speeds are 2.4L 4cyls where most 4WD autos are V6.

The basic SR20DET makes around 220hp the GTi-R version makes near 235. A VG30ET makes 205hp but the VG30 makes ALOT more torque and a turboed VG30E makes about 230hp due the higher compression (8.5:1 instead of 7.2:1) and diffrent cams.

Zcarsmakemyheadhurt: """Hit it with a 75shot and race fuel, you'll be OK. What kind of compression does your engine have? How thick is the intercooler (core)."""

I'm afraid to blow up the engine right now because my spare/2nd VG30ET (89z31 turbo) was found "Not rebuildable" by my machine shop. so i'm going to hold off on my quest for thw 12's since this is my daily driver and I need a ride to work to pay for this sickness.

As far as I know my CR is 8.5:1

My intercooler is roughly 30"W/20"H/3"D I don't rember the exact size but the inlet/outlets wrap completly around my radiatior no problem.

What I realy am thinking of is when I find a good Turbo V6 block and doing twin T28's and log manifolds. But I just don't know. I'm going to the track this weekend and will turn up the boost a bit and see what happens.

Thanks,

Tom D

SO about how much horsepower will I need to knock .8 off my time in a 2700lb truck?

• 8 months later...