HybridZ

a turbo called "disco potato".

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

A 76 trim turbine???? Who thinks of this stuff.... Is it a N,O, P, Q what the fu.. . Its a T3 stage II III V? People always try to re-envent the wheel.

A 76 trim turbine???? Who thinks of this stuff.... Is it a N,O, P, Q what the fu.. . Its a T3 stage II III V? People always try to re-envent the wheel.

Alex, the guys who created this turbo know what they were doing. No need to get all tissy about it.

Guest DaneL24

Doesn't the Silvia use the SR20DET engine (2.0 liter four cylinder)? If so, the turbo from the 2.0 liter engine won't allow a very broad efficiency range on a 2.8 liter engine. CFM is a determining factor in turbo efficiency, and since a 2.8 liter engine will use the same CFM as a 2.0 liter engine at a lower RPM...turbo efficiency will begin to drop off at a lower RPM on a 2.8 liter engine than a 2.0 liter engine. This is assuming that the turbo was matched well for the 2.0 engine. You would need to see a compressor map to really know. I think thats what Lockjaw meant by the turbo not being big enough for a zcar. You could always intercool it to reduce the negative affects of low turbo efficiency (heat), but efficiency would still begin to drop off at a lower RPM.

The cfm between the two is not much different @ redline because redline is higher on SR20 than L28. The turbo probably spools about 1000rpm higher rpm on SR20 but if you can shift the engine around 8K rpm it'll all make up for it. Just a thought. It well be a dog trying to spool Stage V wheel on a 2.0L. BB will help some.

wait, 76mm = 3 inch. It must be bigger than Stage V :?:

Never mind, I just looked up GT series 76 trim. 53.8mm major with 47mm exducer. not even close to be stage V (71mm/61.95mm). No that's not big enough. 62trim would flow but not with that turbine wheel. IMO HKS GT3040 runs 50 trim and 84 trim and supports 500HP. FYI

Its not big enough for a Z car.

Care to explain?

Yes, go back and read the article, its not a t3/t4.

Second you guys need to get an understanding of what trim is. It is simply a ratio of the inducer to the exducer. Nothing more.

Thats all I feel like typing.

What do you want to know then, specifically?

The turbo is designed for a 2.0 liter engine, and putting it on a 2.8 is not going to be a wise move.

Here's an example. Take my turbo, which has a stage V turbine. On a 2.0 liter DSM engine, you will be lucky to have full boost by 4500 rpms, and this would be described as a "laggy" turbo, ie not for street use. I talked to a guy from Team Nabr that has one. Well on my 2.8 liter engine, I have full boost by 3200 and it is anything but 'laggy".

There is math and science and just a touch of voodoo that goes into turbo selection. Just because a mag says it is a great turbo, doesn't mean it is. You have to know what it flows, where it flows most efficiently, and where your engines flow falls into that data. Without that, you are guessing.

If you want to know a good turbo to run, ask the people on the board with some fast times what they use/recommend.

Also if you don't have it, Corky Bells book, Maximum Boost would be a good starting point for learning what you need to know.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Oh believe me I'm not Tissy about anything people say or claim. But I doubt that anyone has created anything that hasn't been done or proven by Garrett. But if your calling a stage V wheel a 76 trim just trying to make a product sound different, its just stupid. I guess people just want to justify pricing a turbo double what it should cost. Enjoy the ride.

Alex C