HybridZ

a turbo called "disco potato".

• 1 year later...

If all you were going for was about 300hp, this turbo is probably the best out there. . . HOWEVER, like several ppl have said, it's made for a 2.0 to 2.3 (if I'm not mistaken. . . this was about a year ago when I looked into it), and in order to fit it on a 2.8 you'd be better off converting to a external wastegate system as the exahust flow may get too excessive w/ the larger motor.

You'll have a torqe band like the Audi motors--flat as a table. If you've ever driven any of their newer turbo cars, you know what I'm talking about (1.8 or 2.7 turbos). With this turbo, boost should be kicking in as low as 1500 rpm. I'm actually an advocate of smaller turbos for better response, but I don't see using this small of a turbo for a 2.8 liter I-6.

The exhaust pulses of the I-6 is really goor for turbocharging. they have better spooling characteristic than a I-4, so just go with a larger, cheaper turbo. For the $$$ you'll be spending on the turbo, you could do so many other things that could improve low end torque like increasing displacement. . . most of the older Zs on the road need a complete overhaul, anyway. Why not go the extra mile.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Guest 240zJake

Here is the Sport Compact Car article

Here are compressor maps of varios turbos, intended for Stealth and 3000gt owners

and below is the "disco potato", or Garret GT28RS, compressor map from that site

gt28rs-62trim-raw.gif

Yea, just b/c it was in a mag doesn't make it the best turbo for everyone. There are soooo many options when it comes to turbo selection. Everything, when it comes to turbo selection, or any kind of modification for that matter, is a trade-off.

Get an inexpensive larger turbo, you're gonna have lag; get a smaller turbo, and you're gonna have great spool up, but no top end; if you want the best of both worlds, you're going to pay a pretty penny.

Noone w/o knowing your final goals, purpose, and size of your pocket book. Your best bet, unless you've got some extensive knowledge, is to talk to tech support at Garret (or any manufacturer who might know something about turbos), or a knowledgeable shop near you that really deals a lot w/ turbos (get several opinions before you form your own).

My favorites are Garret (or HKS) b/c I have the most experience w/ them, and I couldn't tell you the 1th thing about the IHI or the KKK turbos when it goes farther in depth than a bolt-on kit.

The best advice I could give you (since I really don't have extensinve knowledge when it comes to the L series), is to talk to ppl who've done their motors up right, and learn from them. I don't mean just post something on a forum, but also ask apecific people about their setups.

Sorry I'm not much help

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

The turbo is way too small for the Z cars. It is great for the 2.0L, but the L28 flows too much exhaust. It's basicly a T28 turbo, with the GT addons. It will do about 320whp if I remember correctly.