HybridZ

Building strut bracing

I am going to be building front strut bracing to go from the strut to the area where the sway bar mounts, from the back of the strut down to the frame rail, and from the strut at an angle back to the firewall. I know I saw a picture of this on here a while ago but I can seem to find it! :roll:

Anyway my question is material. What pipe stock should I use. I was thinking of going to home depot and picking up some "black pipe" (pipe used for natual gas) since that is very thick walled. But before I do I wanted to find out if that would be a mistake!! Thanks!!

Forget the plumbing pipe and go to a steel yard. Buy DOM or ERW mild steel tubing 1/2 to 3/4" diameter and .095 (1/2") or .080 (3/4") wall thickness. You can also buy 4130 tubing at .065 wall thickness although it will cost about 3 times what the DOM or ERW stuff does.

I have made work benches out of fire sprinkler pipe I picked up in a scrap metal yard. It is regular steel and quite easy to work with. BTW, if you want pipe find a scrap metal yard that will sell you stuff by the pound. You can buy a pick up truck load for what Home Depot charges for a few lengths of pipe and some sheet metal.

Obviously for a given size, seemless or electron welded tubing will be stonger than black pipe, however what is the difference in cost? For strut tower bracing is it really necessary? We are not talking life support equipment here. You just want something to stiffen the towers without adding too much weight. You could almost do it by bending sheet metal braces.

For the short lengths of strut braces I would want about 1 inch OD tubing. If anything 1" black pipe would be excessively strong because it is so thick walled. But if cost is more important than weight, what is the harm?