HybridZ

damn headlights wont work.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys.

last night started my car, and no headlights.. every other light works but no headlights. so today i looked at the fuses, and etc and cant figure it out.

any ideas?

would both bulbs just go like that at the same time?

mike

Guest ON3GO

well i check the switch but im not sure what to look for.

it stinks cuz i cant use my car at night at all.

so what sould i look for, and how would i go about testing to see whats wrong and not.....

its a soldered lead on the switch, check its voltage when the switch turns on and off, also check the fuse if you havent already, sometimes that solder just falls off, and if you put it back on and solder it up its ok.

junkyards are full of the late switches, and the wiring is identical on the older switches. or just use a dummy lite and see if it lites up when you turn the light switch on.

Guest ON3GO

ahh ok... now i checked all the fuses.

now a few days ago all my lights went out, so i replaced the fuse and all was go, now all my lights work but the headlights.

ill check the switch with what you said and i hope that fix's the problem.

Thanks

Being I have went through this situation very recently, for the running lights check the hazard switch. All running lights go through there. If it is the headlights, check for any tarnishing of the connection in the switch(use scotch-brite or fine sand paper to clean connection). I would Highly recommend relays for the headlights as it has resolved any and all problems with my headlights. Pete has an excellent write-up on the relay conversion. Check his site.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DaneL24

The headlights in my '71 240 went out recently...and it was because the headlight switch shorted out. When the lights stopped working, I could hear something sparking and smoke was pouring out of the steering column. I pulled off the plastic steering column covers and when I flipped the switch I could see it sparking, and it melted a big mark on the inside of the plastic cover. Needless to say...I'm just replacing the switch assembly. Easy to remove and put back together fortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Unplug one of your head light conectors in front of the radiator and unplug the concter at the steering wheel and check for continuity. Check fro voltage at the plug and continuity between the red/black at the front plug and switch plug, the low beam is red/black, green + . I just went through this last night, checked everything and the found 2 headlights with no low beams. So it is possible to loose 2 at once.