HybridZ

60-1 t4/stage 5 t3 driving impressions

i had a 60-1 t4/custom machined nissan 280zxt exhaust housing stage 5 turbine built for my daily driver work beater z.put it while while car was on rack for trans rebuild/clutch replacement.put on scottie's down pipe with it.using oem 280zxt engine management.it doesnt bog that bad-it makes instant 5 lbs of boost on the freeway in 5th if i floor it.engine revs much quicker after 5000.the zxt ecm has some kind of rev limiter/fuel cut in it and you have to watch out or your on it .i know another 100 hp is in there with i.c. and aftermarkit ecm.after i get the tie downs on the smog dyno at work fixed i am going to give a run with some union 100 unleaded.

randy, t4b or t4e? how much boost are you running now?

curious, im working on putting a new turbo should be in at the end of summer, need to get my t3 kicks in now that i have fmic and the car dialed in pretty good, going to the track a few more times this summer.

Yeah I hate the rev limiter in the stock ecu. Mine is set at 7k with the JWT.

I had an ecu that would sometimes let the engine go to 7k plus, but it seemed like it only would do that for a short period of time after I put a new cap and rotor on. Go figure.

Like to know what your turbo does.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Wait till you boost that thing 15psi+ its a different turbo then. At 5psi you are doning very little with that turbo set up but you are smart keep it at low boost. You wouldnt be able to make the power with a stock ECM anyway. Good luck and keep us informed.

did the 280zxt's actually have a rev limiter? I've been told several times that they don't...and what I'm experiencing is the valves floating rather than a rev limiter. I sure would like to know some thing for sure. Is there documentation somewhere that would say? Mines an '83 by the way

i don't have a rev limiter on my 81zxt set up and it does hold alot of power so far.My turbo spools nice starts at about 2500rpm and then by 3000 i'm at full boost tires spinning as soon as i get full boost in first and second :twisted: I have a t4e/t3 hybrid with a 60 turbine wheel .70 a/r on the compressor housing.I have the stock zxt turbine housing and a clipped turbine wheel, I love mine even at 8 psi it is much faster than my stock turbo at 18psi.I am up to 11 now just cuz the car scares me right now have to get use to it again.The new ic made a world of difference even with everything else the same.

did the 280zxt's actually have a rev limiter? I've been told several times that they don't...and what I'm experiencing is the valves floating rather than a rev limiter. I sure would like to know some thing for sure. Is there documentation somewhere that would say? Mines an '83 by the way

Yes, the '82 has one for sure, around 6400-6500 rpm - I've hit it a few times. The Z31s have the same limiter, the fuel just cuts out. I've heard the '81 ECU doesn't have a limiter, but I don't know for sure.

this is probably the 4th or 5th zxt ecm that has been in ther car since the motor was swapped 7 years ago.when they go out the car will run but wont make any power past 3000 rpm.problem is car has to be smogged(kalifornia) every 2 years.the oem turbo choked the engine.will see how it does at thunderhill july 10.i always run union 110 nascar gas at thill though.pay now or buy engine later.$40 for gas for a day is cheaper than an engine.i am thinking about installing a fi system that has an extra output to hook egr to.they dont check what ecm is in the car.i have the tank evap system hooked up.my 77 /81zxt is certified in ca with a swap sticker in the door frame.when i put the other tail pipe with cat on and hook egr up it passes at test only easy.if the smog laws arent changed(50/50 odds) it will only have to be smogged 1 more time-next summer.

Randy sad to hear on your ECM's . Talk to your salvage yard and see if you can get a discount by buying ECM's in volume (you know cheaper by the dozen). Yea! That's a bad joke at a time like this :cry: .

I remember when I washed my engine and my TPS got wet engine cut out around 1800. Then on my N/A 78 280Z I had a problem where she would cut out completely at 4000 rpm. Which I'm still trying to figure out.

Lockjaw, it could be that my tack is off. It really doesn't matter either way. I know exactly the location on MY tack that she would cut me off! Then I'd have to go home and take a COLD shower! :) Just a little above 6000 that I don't venture beyond!!! Real easy in 1 and 2nd gear to "hit the wall!"

Doesn't that just suck too? I hated it when I hit it, which is why I had it moved to 7k on my JWT ecu. I have hit it before, but it is much less noticeable, and not so abrupt.

It is really easy for me to hit too, I got a t5, 3.90's, and a cam, so when the boost is up there, blam, rev limit. :lol:

I was also once told that the 81 ecu's have no limiter, but the 82-83 units did. I received that in an Email after I asked a question (maybe here?) about the 81 vs. the 82-3 wiring harnesses. I've got an '83 though, :-P guess I'll have to learn to deal with it when it goes in. Probably a good safety feature though with the P90a hydraulic lifter head?