HybridZ

Pics of my SS Downpipe

Jersey

Ok, remember, i'm still just learning how to weld so please don't break my chops TOO bad! :lol: It's 2 1/2" SS and i got it to squeeze around the T5 in my '73. About 3/4" clearance on either side going down. It looks like it'll give the T3 a lot smoother flow than the stocker...hope it helps.

5226SSDP.jpg

5226DP_Compare.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

That's nice. Want to make another one? I have the exact same combo you have. L28ET, '73 240Z, T5 trans, stock turbine. Where did you get your flange?

Jersey,

That looks like nice work. That should help that turbo breath a little more.

Question for the other guys. Where are you getting your 3" mandrel bent pipe made. A lot of places stop at 2 1/2". Can I go to Midas and get 3", or are you guys going to specialty speed shops. Thanks for the info.

Jersey' date='

That looks like nice work. That should help that turbo breath a little more.

Question for the other guys. Where are you getting your 3" mandrel bent pipe made. A lot of places stop at 2 1/2". Can I go to Midas and get 3", or are you guys going to specialty speed shops. Thanks for the info.[/quote']

I bought mandrel bent 90* sections, and a 45* section. Had a custom piece made off the downpipe to clear my driveshaft loop, then just straight pipe back with the 2 90* pieces to the muffler. Clamped it all together with band clamps. Personally I'd never use crush bent, even at 3", but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks eveyone. The pictures probably make the welds look better than what they are but, it wont leak and it should definetly flow better than that stock cast thang, as others have suggested. I'm not really into the fling fling (or however you say it) thing, just more or less making it work and getting faster :twisted: If i had the time, i'd bring it to a shop to have them duplicate it into one mandrel bent pipe and see if anyone was interested. I know it doesn't even compare to Scotties or JeffP's pipe but i just wanted to see if i could do it and save some $, and it worked. I used the stock cast flange. Notice it missing in the pic? After i get her back on the road with the new DP and NPR I.C. and drive it a bit, if i get some time, i'll pull it back off and take it to a fabricator to see what he'd charge to bend a few up for me then see who's interested. Sorry guys, wish i had the time now to make some more. Possibly Scottie or JeffP will do another run of them? I'll keep ya posted on how it performs. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

szlash - pipe is holding up great. I ran a 13.33 with stock DP, no I.C. and about 11psi. A few weeks ago, i ran a 12.88 ( http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze29q5g/12.88.avi ) with my new DP, NPR I.C. and about 14psi. Cant really tell how much it's helped by itself but i'm sure it's help her breath. Getting a bunch of 3" pipe this week and will hopefully have sometime to weld/install soon.

moby - just migged the stainless pipe to the cast flange with stainless wire. I think it was .026. Welded good.

Scottie - Thanks. I wish i could end up with something as nice as that. I will do my best. I've got a question now that you posted that pic...did you HAVE TO use the 2 90deg bends right before the muffler or could you get away with 1 or 2 45's? As mentioned earlier, buying some pipe this week. You guys convinced me on scrapping my 2 1/2" :lol:

Guest bastaad525

I'm still very curious to find out how loud a turbo motor would be with NO muffler or cat, just pipe all the way out the back.

I ran the car without a muffler , not even down the road and with the cat still in the system the noise was at least 50% louder. This was with just the muffler removed and all of the system installed. I did not like the noise level at all.

Jersey,

the reason that system "looks so nice" is because it was built with a mandrel bender at the shop that used to bend the DPs for me. That exhaust is in 3 pieces connected with slip joints so it could be broken down and shipped to Germany for someone in the military (shipped thru APO, of course). I basically removed the exhaust on my car had them duplicate it. All the odd bends was to get the maximum ground clearance. I did someone a favor and I can tell you it was more hassle than I want to deal with again which is why I no longer do the DPs.

I can appreciate what JeffP is going through now.