HybridZ

Possible Z powertrain

Z-TARD

Just picked up a T45 transmission from the junkyard today, had some spare time and decided to "C" clamp it to the back of my Jag V12 that I had originally intended to use in my Z before switching over to Chevy. This has to be the coolest looking engine ever. Seriously thinking of making another Z with this engine...... Either that or designing and building an entirely home built car around it :D

album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=1061

Mike

Probably a bad idea for me to move this engine out of my friends garage and into mine, I'm starting to hear the voices again......"If you build it, it will haul......" I think I might have to find another 240 now :bonk:

I rolled it out next to the car and lined up the shifters to eyeball it, I think it would fit. I'd have to move the radiator support bracket forward a few inches for clearance, as it looks as though it would only have about 1" or so from dampener to rad now. Most of the weight would still be behind the front crossmember as well, so handling might not be to adversely affected. Engine mounts almost line up, might have to make set-forward plates to relocate them about 2" forward. Firewall clearance is slightly closer than the Chevy motor, about 1/2 inch. The hood might have to be modified for clearance in the front, since the motor is pretty tall with heads and cam blocks/covers attached.

[/img]http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1072>http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1071>Mike

Yeah, I know..... But I already have 3 T5 transmissions and a really cool 4 bolt main 010 block thats never been bored, and a host of other chevy related stuff...... I may just have to get a bigger garage and more Z's to play with. Although I really like my suspension, brakes, and drivetrain on this one :( Why do decisions have to be so difficult?

Mike

If you do not put that V12 into that Z, I will hunt you down and do horrible, nasty things to your dog. :wink:

And if that doesn't convince you, I'll send a guy named Guido to have a little 'chat' with your cat and your cat's family.

Dooooood, you gotta do that swap. Too cool! :2thumbs:

Hard to beat the sound of a V-12 under throttle though, and I really like my dog. So I think I'll go ahead and do it. Its going to have to wait a while though, as I'm going on deployment for 6 months next week. On, the plus side, I wont be able to spend all my money for that time period, and will have considerable funds at my disposal when I get back.

I'll have to section the T45 bellhousing about 3" and weld on 3" from the Jag bellhousing, along with lots of rienforcement ribs to strengthen the bellhousing. (Much more comlicated than that, but thats the general concept anyway.) Front radiator support will have to be moved forward about 5". Ground clearance should be pretty good, the Jag has a very shallow sump depth and plenty of room on either side due to its 60 degree layout. The V-12 I have is a low compression model, as I remember its something like 8.5-1. So I'm going to attempt to pipe in a small turbo on either side. Any suggestions on fuel/air management setups? I was thinking of two 390-400 CFM carbs on a custom built manifold, enclosed in an airtight box that the turbos would pipe into. Fuel injection would no doubt be a better option, but my understanding of it is pathetic at best. I'll try to keep you guys updated on this, expect progress reports to start in about 7 months or so.....

Mike

Guest Dan0myte

Haha, twin turbo V12 Zcar. You truely are insane Mike! I like it. :wink:

Since it's basically two inline-6 engines, I'd suggest two CT-26's from some wrecked MKIII Supras. It would be a very nice setup!

Guest iamjackal

I personanlly agree with four turbos and some insane horsepower. Only problem would be having one off parts made to handle power like crank, rods pistons. Forged rods and pistons times 12 would get expensive but oh would that motor sound sweet. That and where in the crap can you find jag motors for cheap. EBay has none and that is pretty rare motor for your local pick and pull to have. That would be the most bad ace build if you could find one. So just sell me your v-12 and you wont have to worry about it and my car would be completed sometime in the next ten years.

my father has a jag xjs v12, and that is a great engine. as far as parts availability, there are usually a few non running cars that mechanics are afraid to touch sitting in junkyards. THe main engine parts shouldnt be too hard to come by. the stock 260hp v12 in my dads xjs really hauls that 4000lb car. I cant imagine what it would do in a Z, with two turbos

One of the reasons Jags That Runs exists is because of the insanely high price of Jag V-12 parts and rebuild costs. Once one of these engines go, rebuilding it is a VERY expensive enterprise. Hence people dropping Chevy V8's into V12 Jags.

I tried to buy a neighbor's V12 Jag that had a bad engine. He wanted to get it fixed. It sat there for years. Now he has a Mercedes. The Jag is gone, probably to a junkyard. He wouldn't sell it to me because I told him my plan (V8). Oh well.

Guest iamjackal

That is unfortunate about the pricing but expected, I think will check the pick and pull out here nonetheless. I know of where an older model is sitting but the guy wont part with it. He has a v-8 swap in mind for it as well.Stinks though because his car has been sitting as long as mine.If anybody does happen to spot one though please Pm me. I hope somebody at least does this swap that would be quite unique.