HybridZ

exhaust fumes??

Guest Anonymous

If you drive around with the windows down now, are the fumes all gone? Even in deceleration?

Great Idea! Smoke Machine lol.

Yep windows down, windows up, one down one up no fumes!

The smoke trick really helps you find hidden leaks.

Derek

X64v,

I am not so sure MSII can do fuel cut on coasting. It will do fuel cut on Negative TPS Rotation but not during coasting. I can lower the VE table values in the coasting ranges, which I tried. This seemed to cause stumbles when I got back onto the gas when approaching a corner apex, so I set it back to normal. What management system are you using?

Derek, you got me all pumped about trying the smoke machine test! I have to go find a smoke machine.

So Derek, am I to understand that you hook the vacuum (which is outside the car) to the hole in the cardboard in the window that you cut out, and attempt to pull smoke through the cabin from the suspect area? Having someone blow it near the rear of the car and create a vacuum inside the cabin to pull through anything that can get through?

When you say smoke machine - do you mean like a fog machine that they use at concerts and nightclubs? Hope so - my band has one of those that I can borrow....

I bet you could also put the smoke machine inside the car and turn on the fresh air blower to see where the smoke leaves the cabin just as well. Eliminating the vacuum cleaner and cardboard. Or try both ways to get every nook and cranny sealed up.

Take a look at where the tailpipe on a stock S30 ends---it's usually MUCH further back, in many cases it is almost flush with the bumper's total length.

Most 'performance' exhausts clip that and tuck the tailpipe section well short of that.

Tying in with your 'exhaust velocity' theory, you can see that having a 'dorky looking tail pipe that sticks out so far' is actually a good bit of engineering on Nissan's part.

Just stick a can or piece of muffler extension tubing on the tailpipe with a clamp and see what happens when the pipe is out as far a stock one...

I think i'm going to try this. I'll report back for results.

What management system are you using?

MS-I, Newest extra code. I'm really surprised MS-II doesn't have it. I looked through a friend's Megatune for MS-II and couldn't find a setting for it anywhere. On my menu it's just in an advanced options drop down labeled 'over run settings'. Oh well.

X64v,

Derek, you got me all pumped about trying the smoke machine test! I have to go find a smoke machine.

Now's the time. The party stores will have them for Halloween.

So Derek, am I to understand that you hook the vacuum (which is outside the car) to the hole in the cardboard in the window that you cut out, and attempt to pull smoke through the cabin from the suspect area? Having someone blow it near the rear of the car and create a vacuum inside the cabin to pull through anything that can get through?

When you say smoke machine - do you mean like a fog machine that they use at concerts and nightclubs? Hope so - my band has one of those that I can borrow....

That's the process exactly. That commercial smoke machine will do a fine job. The cheap one i bought only runs for 30 second bursts. It turned out to be plenty of on time though.

I bet you could also put the smoke machine inside the car and turn on the fresh air blower to see where the smoke leaves the cabin just as well. Eliminating the vacuum cleaner and cardboard. Or try both ways to get every nook and cranny sealed up.

I'm not too sure how well that would work. The problem is a low pressure area in the cargo space that sucks in the exhaust. Pressure in the cabin would work in reverse of what's actually happening.

I lived with this problem in one form or another since 1980 when I bought the car. This is the first time I've had no exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Derek