HybridZ

auto to manual swap

speedstylez78

hi

i converting my 78 280z auto to a manual using a 75 280z parts car. i was wondering if any one could give me some helpful hints before i get started, such as do i need to use a manual ecu, do i have do make any mods to the hole in the tranny tunnel where the shifter will go, or any good hints that will tell me what kind of condition the used tranny is in. thanks alot

Justin Morrow

Guest thepenguin99

Granted I have never done this swap but here is what info I have to give. No you dont need to change the ECU....the ECU is different in your 75 anyway. Im not 100% sure of this but I seriously doubt you will have to modify the trans tunnel hole. I can't see datsun making two different bodies for autos and sticks. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

You'll need the pedal, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, tranny, possibly the driveshaft(are the spindels the same from auto to manual?), and miscleanous nuts and bolts!

I dont think you will have to modifly the hole for the shifter but if you do it will be very minor. The part that sucks the most is mounting that clutch pedal! I had to mount one for my T56. That took me forever to get it right! But I sure was happy when I was done with it! :D

Guy

I mounted mine on the firewall. I had to bend/mold the pedal mount assembly from the Z28 that I got all my parts from to conform to the firewall. I also had to shorten the pedal because at full length was way too long. I shortend it about 2". But it turned out pretty nice!

Guy

• 3 years later...

So, interior wise, I would just have to get a pedal set and shifter/boot to transform the car? Everything on the other side of the firewall should bolt on the same as if it were a manual trans to begin with, correct? Is there any cutting or drilling of the firewall/shifter hole?

I read in one post about a brace that needs to be installed so that the firewall doesn't tear at the mounting point for the master cylinder. Is this something that would be on a manual trans car that can be unbolted or would I need to fab one up? Also, does the manual trans itself bolt up the same as an auto or will I need to make mods there as well?

Thanks to everyone who has given input. You guys don't know how many auto cars I've passed up because I was unaware that there was a relatively easy swap for trannys. Im definately a noob in the field of Z mods. HybridZ is a killer site and you guys are a ton of help. Thanks - Kris

I know there have been threads on this in the past but they're probably pretty buried in the archives. I **think** this is what you need:

Standard Flywheel: Need to remove the flex plate and spacer from the rear of the crank. Also need to install a pilot bushing.

Clutch: Need to have the throwout fork and more importantly the correct collar for the transmission you're installing AND your pressure plate must match the throwout bearing collar you're using. Easiest way to make sure you get all this right is to leave the fork and collar in the trans when you pull it.

Clutch and brake pedals: These bolt into your pedal box.

Clutch master and slave cylinders and the hard line and soft line to connect them: Pretty self explanatory. No bracing is needed on the clutch master area. That part of the firewall is already beefed up for the brake master.

Not sure if the trans mounts or the driveshafts swap out.

Jon,

isn't there just 2 types of collars and flywheels for the 75-83 Z's, one for the 2+2/turbo(240mm) and one for the coupe(225mm). So the collar and pressure plate has to match the flywheel(Actually a clutch pressure plate from a 225mm flywheel will not bolt to a 240mm flywheel , but the actual trans doesn't make a difference. Bottom line is buy a clutch kit for the right flywheel. I just found this out the hard way by giving my machinist my 2.4 flywheel instead of the BWt5 flywheel. Guess what?, the original-clutch won't work so I have to buy a new kit-so much for saving a buck

• 2 weeks later...
''The curse begins when you mix up the hdwe from 2 different types of trannies you have kicking around your garage''

Ahh yes.. I have been cursed before so you see... when I swaped the 4 gear for a 240sx 5 speed (using the original 4 gear front half/bellhousing and modifying accordingly) I took what was left of the old 4 gear, all the misc. nuts and bolts, and the old clutch and THREW THEM IN THE SCRAP YARD!!!:coollook: Interesting tid bit, iirc the 240sx box has the same splines and nose as the 280 4 gear, so I just use a clutch kit/pilot bushing for a 75 280z. If/when I fry this 5 speed (the scrap yard car DID have 300k when I bought the tranny for $50.. heh heh) I'll swap to another 240sx tranny, or a 280zx 5 speed and again throw away anything left over. I hate getting parts mixed and matched..

The throwout collar is only a problem when it won't let you disengage the clutch right?

I've mixed and matched parts (77 5 speed with a 240mm clutch and flywheel with the 5 speed TO collar) and ended up with a high clutch pedal but no problems with engagement. I should be able to correct this with an adjustable slave cylinder rod right? (Or just grind it down until I like it)

The clutch master doesn't have enough adjustment to make it low enough for my liking,

Mario