HybridZ

First drive last night, got a little problem, need help.

Took her around the block for the first time and everything seemed well untill I let off the gas. Clunk clunk clunk! When I let try to let the motor slow down the car the drive shaft hits the rear sway bar. On accel or coasting it is ok, just does it on hard decell. Why!!! I have pretty much replaced all the bushings in the car, the differiental mount is new. It is the u-joint adapter that bolts to the diff that is hitting, it is the large chevy style u-joint. I got the driveshaft from a guy on this site that had it in a 240. Please help

Are you sure its hitting the rear sway bar and not the exhaust? When i welded a simple bracket up on my muffler to keep it from swinging around, that was enough to get a LOT of clunking on engine braking. I cut the bracket, and i never got the clunking again.

I did two things. Initially I put an offset bend in the sway bar to move it away from the u-joint a bit. Later the R200 got relocated a bit higher to help with wheel hop and that gave the u-joint the clearance necessary without having to bend the sway bar.

Did you just heat and bend the sway bar or is it more scientific than that. I didn't look closely at it, but could you ad spacers between the sway bar brackets and the floor of the car to drop it down a bit?

Just brainstorming at the office.

I thought most guys with SBC in their Z's didnt run rear sway bars? I know in the JTR manual it says not to because it could cause you to spin out too easily? or something.....???

I would just take it out. Im not going to run a rear sway bar until I go with an LSD or Quafie rear end.

Guy

Well..for the sake of testing, that's just what I did. I took it out and the noise went away. You cannot easily space it down from the car like I had thought because the bracket is welded to the car and the bolts to remove it come in horizontally, not vertically. Someone told me that the car would behave "funny" without the sway bar. Is this true? I only drove it down the street so I can't tell.

The early 240's came from the factory without rear sway bars, so no, it won't behave funny. It won't corner as flat either.

JTR says to remove the rear bar on V8Z's without LSD because the bar tends to lift the inside rear tire allowing the torque of the V8 to spin the inner wheel more easily.

My god! Yet another problem I guess I will encounter when the time comes! I am starting to get that ole frustrated feeling about this project. I may wind up junking what I have and starting over with an older Camaro or Mustang. Jeesh everyday I learn of some new grimlin in the V-8 Z project.

OH Fiddlesticks! There not problems, just oppertunities to incorporate creativity and ponder solutions while blankly staring at the spouse, boss, or whoever may be boring you with non-Z related conversations. :lol:

Yep there is also money money and more money to dump into a car that just sits in my garage and hasn't seen the street in about 3 to 4 years!

Quite frankly all my friends, my boss and the wife are probably tired of hearing about how awesome the Z will be and would like to see it move!

(WIthout me pushing it)

I know how you feel Flash. I've been telling friends, family, and co-workers about my 4 second 0-60 Z car for about a year now, and I'm starting to think that they don't believe this beast exists. I'm nearly done, though, and I may try to fire it up in a week or two. Then again, just cause you can start the car doesn't mean you should if your ducks are not all lined up in a row. I've got to be patient, there's still a lot to do.